Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 06:44:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The school lunch programs.  (Read 1432 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: September 08, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/09/05/nj-school-throw-away-students%E2%80%99-lunches-if-they-don%E2%80%99t-have-enough-money-pay-them

I am not a fan of school lunches/breakfasts/snacks, etc.  lots of reasons for that.

to the point in this story, why not let the kids go home a little hungry and ticked of that the parents neglected to pay for lunch?  i have yet to see anyone in this country in danger of dying for the lack on one meal.  considering the lack of teaching in the public schools, i don't even buy the argument that education hours will be lost.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »

Reading the responses after the article, no one blames anyone but the school.The district was fined 50thousnad dollars for abusing the free and reduced lunch program last year. That's right,they were feeding children of taxpayers that did not qualify for a free or reduced lunch .Do you think they provided the meals without seeking reimbursement so it became habitual for parents not to pay?
 Our schools always sent a notice if the lunch account became delinquent.They would still give the child a meal,but pb and j and a milk or juice was the only option.

On another note,if we the taxpayers provide a meal,should the student be forced to eat it?
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:07:35 AM »

i don't even buy the argument that education hours will be lost.

The article states "dollars for instruction" which is pretty vague, I think.
$50k is being lost which could be used for any number of purposes.

The district was fined 50thousnad dollars for abusing the free and reduced lunch program last year. That's right,they were feeding children of taxpayers that did not qualify for a free or reduced lunch .Do you think they provided the meals without seeking reimbursement so it became habitual for parents not to pay?

That's exactly what happened.

The last statement in the article is perhaps the most telling. Looks like the families eligible for the free/reduced meals are the case of this problem. Basically saying, I can't afford lunch but it embarrasses me to use the program. So I won't sign up but I'm not going to pay either.
You can't have it both ways.

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:35:10 AM »

Honestly with as much taxes as I pay to my pathetic school system, there should be PLENTY of money for free meals for everybody. 

I know beeks like to pick on food for the poor, but what about all the other thousands and thousands of dollars the schools waste?
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »

I'm not missing the point, just side barring a little;

There's studies out there that proves hungry children can't concentrate as well as those who are not hungry. It's most evident in countries that has had high inflation or their economy has collasped.

However, I also agree that there's a mindset out there that the gubermint ought to feed my chirllen. I think it's good that we offer food for students, I think it's bad that they think we ought to.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »

I know beeks like to pick on food for the poor, but what about all the other thousands and thousands of dollars the schools waste?

our state just coughed up millions for the schools.  guess where it went.  hint:  it didn't go to the schools.

the oregon public employees pension plan is the 3rd most expensive in the country with guaranteed returns, increases, and matching fund.  no matter what the market or economy does, they are guarnteed 8% increase.  hey...that's better than the original 12%.
god bless the unions!

to fund them, we cut teacher and hours....but it's all about the children....

if states want to do lunches, let them.  states tend to be more careful with their own money, the above example not withstanding.  it's when federal dollars are pumped in and there is incentive for FW&A. 

it might be true that kids don't concentrate as well if they are hungry.  define hungry.  + one day of not concentrating is not going to trash the school year.  mom and dad will remember to pay next time or will learn to pack a lunch.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »

Gotta wonder how many of those poor kids had an iphone in the pocket to call Mom or Dad and let them know what happened. Undecided

hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24:30 PM »

I know beeks like to pick on food for the poor,

I missed that  huh Somewhere...
The issue is not about if the poor get fed. All the school wants is for parents to apply for the program if they qualify. Is that so difficult?

On another note and more troublesome:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/07/gov_calls_for_firings_and_prosecution_in_wake_of_cheating_scandal_in_school_lunch_program.html

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »

""I missed that  huh Somewhere...""

You must not keep up with bluebee. He always says a problem should not be fixed because there are other problems, too. He never wants to concentrate on one at a time.

As for school lunches, kids learn better when not hungry.  SO WHAT??

Kids also learn better when they are not ashamed of the rags they are wearing, feel good about the recent hair cut or perm. Get a good night's sleep on a decent mattress. Aren't distracted by the fight their mother and latest "uncle" had the night before.

Are we going to try and remedy all those things, too.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »

Oh, come on iddee, you know I always have solutions to problems.  Beeks just don’t like to hear the truth. laugh

The difference between a Southern and Northern football game.

Stadium Size:
NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.
SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Yep, this seems to be the real priority in too many “schools”, north and south.  Instead of subsidizing school lunches so the kiddies have enough glucose in their system to learn something, let’s pour the dollars in the pigskins and soccer fields.  That will really help the USA compete economically with the rest of the world won't it.   OK, I know this snippet was in jest, but all the same, why are my SCHOOL tax dollars being spent on PLAY instead of EDUCATION?
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »

Actually BlueBee, there's an enormous amount of income in "most" sports. Around here it's a plus for school monies instead of a minus. You're right about education not being the main priority tho.

You mentioned about going to school to play instead of learn. Back in the early 70's I had a friend who had to go to summer school after his senior year in order to receive a diploma. He wouldn't dress out (wear shorts - boney legs) so therefore he couldn't participate and he received a failing grade. He said it was a shame he couldn't graduate with his classmates because he didn't know how to play.

John Wayne
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 08:03:29 AM »

Gotta wonder how many of those poor kids had an iphone in the pocket to call Mom or Dad and let them know what happened. Undecided

lau lau lau

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »

our state just coughed up millions for the schools.  guess where it went.  hint:  it didn't go to the schools.

the oregon public employees pension plan is the 3rd most expensive in the country with guaranteed returns, increases, and matching fund.  no matter what the market or economy does, they are guarnteed 8% increase.  hey...that's better than the original 12%.
god bless the unions!

to fund them, we cut teacher and hours....but it's all about the children....
Wow, and I thought Detroit wasted money!

I would rather see this kind of blatant waste removed before taking food away from kids that can't afford a healthy meal.  They're just kids.  Why pick on poor kids?  One of the good things that might come about from the Detroit bankruptcy case is the legal ability to cut those public employee golden parachute plans.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »

Why not do both at the same time. Why continue wasting money on one just because they are wasting it on the other?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »

Why pick on poor kids?

once again you manage to completely miss all the points.  that must take some practice!

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »

Do not the poor kids eligible for free lunch already receive money for food? Why can't these parents pack them lunch since we already paid once.
Our schools issued debit cards to the students. All of the students had the same card whether it was free lunches or lunches paid for by the parents.We could transfer money online to put on the cards. The students school ID was on the card so it wasn't used by someone else if it was lost. My son was able to purchase for others if he desired. Students could still pay with cash if so desired.
There was no reason for a student not to be able to pay for more than a day or two unless the parents were to "busy" to take care of things.
I bet this lesson of pitching it if not paid for gets better results than handing over another free meal.The schools should have remained a portal for education, not a feeding program and medical program and sex ed.
Some schools entertain three meals a day,negating any personal responsibility from the parents to feed their kids. Womb to the tomb care from a government entity will only add to the problem of societal decay.
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

I would rather see this kind of blatant waste removed before taking food away from kids that can't afford a healthy meal.  They're just kids.  Why pick on poor kids?  One of the good things that might come about from the Detroit bankruptcy case is the legal ability to cut those public employee golden parachute plans.

Blue,
I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of these "poor kids" have a parent, or parents who own an iphone...hell, the kids themselves probably have one in a lot of cases.  They most likely have cable TV at home along with an xbox and/or playstation.  Mom and/or Dad probably have a 2 pack a day habit and drive a newer/nicer vehicle than my wife does.  YET, I have to hear about how they "can't afford" to feed their kids and it's the responsibility of me and other hard working tax payers to do so.

I'm telling you, the entitlement mentality where everyone thinks someone owes them something and the thought of personal responsibility is a foreign concept will be the downfall of this great nation....We're already well on our way.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:52:38 PM by Moots » Logged

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »

I would rather see this kind of blatant waste removed before taking food away from kids that can't afford a healthy meal.  They're just kids.  Why pick on poor kids?  One of the good things that might come about from the Detroit bankruptcy case is the legal ability to cut those public employee golden parachute plans.

Blue,
I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of these "poor kids" have a parent, or parents who own an iphone...hell, the kids themselves probably have one in a lot of cases.  They most likely have cable TV at home along with an xbox and/or playstation.  Mom and/or Dad probably have a 2 pack a day habit and drive a newer/nicer vehicle than my wife does.  YET, I have to hear about how they "can't afford" to feed their kids and it's the responsibility of me and other hard working tax payers to do so.

I'm telling you, the entitlement mentality where everyone thinks someone owes them something and the thought of personal responsibility is a foreign concept will be the downfall of this great nation....We're already well on our way.

/  SIGNED!

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:54:12 PM »

I know beeks like to pick on food for the poor,

I missed that  huh Somewhere...

As you can see, it's a re-occurring theme with many beeks! 

I dunno I wonder what Jesus would say ?

GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »

I dunno I wonder what Jesus would say ?

He would say; "You have the poor with you always."

He would also say, "If you don't work, you don't eat."

John Wayne
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: