Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 06:55:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what's going on this year?  (Read 1000 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: September 07, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »

i was driving across eastern Oregon and Washington with my husband and we were looking at the windmills.  we got to laughing about the theory that the windmill are pushing the earth off it's axis and changing the rate of rotation.

sure, we laugh....still...something is different this year, i think.

before i list what i have noticed and influence your thinking, am i alone in noticing stuff?  what have you seen?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:14:31 AM »

Sir Isaac Newton would sure get a good laugh at bee keeper science laugh  Even modern grade school kids would laugh at this one.

Is it really that hard for modern day humans to re-learn what humans knew about planetary motion 300 years ago?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »

people have always been superstitious.  they are not always wrong eve if the underlying reasoning is flawed.

maybe my question was to out there.  maybe it's just my area.

we have had bumper crops of everything.  that's not normal.  usually it's one thing or another, but this year...everything.

the weather has been unusually mild for the last year.  winter was mild.  summer was mild.  even now, our fall is not very fallish.

deer herds are huge.  rabbits, quail, all over the place.

people are feeling uneasy in the midst of all this abundance.  that's not something you can quantify.  it's just an observation.  everyone seems to be doing ok, but everyone is walking around like they are waiting for the other shoe to drop..even though the first one is still on their foot.

IDK.  maybe it's just to hard to put into words.  it feels wrong.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
sterling
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »

He would probably laugh even louder at people believing in man caused global warming
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »

people are feeling uneasy in the midst of all this abundance.  that's not something you can quantify.  it's just an observation.  everyone seems to be doing ok
I guess you might as well attribute this to President Obama too. laugh

It has been a very good summer for crops this year in MI too, although corn prices are WAY down from last year (can we say deflation beeks?). Along with the deer and other animals, the dang bees are going nuts this summer too!  I just hope this is the new "norm" for a while. 

Did you hear that the farmers almanac is predicting (if you want to call it that) a 'bitterly cold" winter?  I haven't seen any wooly bears yet to confirm or deny that. grin
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »

kathyp; I think it's cyclic. I am sure that since my childhood, my parents childhood, and when Gen Washington crossed the Delaware the earth has warmed. Some say the pendulum is moving back in the other direction - I don't know. It's been pretty mild here as well. Everything seems to be doing pretty good.

BlueBee, they say the farmer's almanac is usually about eight something percent accurate. When it comes to weather I like the rain predicting rule of thumb we use around here. Someone asks: Is it going to rain today? you say; 50/50 chance of rain, Maybe it will (50%) Maybe it won't (50%)

I was thinking that the windmills were what made the earth turn, heck I've been wrong all this time rolleyes

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »

i am not concerned about global warming.  i'd rather have that than the cooling.  we have had warm years and cold.  while this was a mild winter, it's not the first.  it is the first year i remember that things aligned to provide such an abundance of both game and produce.  i'm not complaining.  i just wonder if it's the fattening before the slaughter...so to speak.

that, coupled with a general feeling of unease among all i know, is odd.  it's not just here.  it's people i know in other countries also.

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:59:01 PM »

It's the Obama effect  angel
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »

It's the Obama effect

i won't credit obama with mild weather, abundant crops, or an excess of critters.   Wink

he may have contributed to the general unease.  people like someone to step up and lead.  they may complain and disagree, but they feel more secure if there is leadership.  obama took the helm of the only superpower, tied the wheel to the seat, and went golfing.   every once in a while he bombed a few places, and seems to have arbitrarily thrown his support to some people without knowing who they were....or maybe he did....  the combined lack of leadership, and lack of knowledge, has left the world in a mess.

not to worry.  looks like Putin is stepping up.  we will, no doubt, complain about him a lot, but he does seem to know how to lead. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »

When Putin takes the helm, we may wish we had Bush back.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »

Once again people attribute too much power to one man.

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »

one man puts together the team, sets the tone, draws the red line.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »

I have sat at a table with George and Barbra, and in all seriousness, i was impressed, i would like to think his son has SOME of his brains...
 to make this short story longer..
   We raised English Springer Spaniels when we lived in Maine. I loved workign with and raising those dogs, they were a joy to be around.. anyhow.. one evening the phone rang...
   My wife answered, got a funny look on her face, and hung up...
   "Who was that?"
   "Some joker saying they were Barbra Bush."
   "Ahhh..."
   Phone rings again.. Wife answers it... EYES GET REALLY BIG......   She finally hangs up...
   "Who was that?"
   "Barbra Bush."
   "B... S..."
   "No, really, and we just donated a puppy to the Gary Pike Foundation, and George is going to auction it off."
   "Interesting.. i bet we dont get within a half a mile of him or his wife..."
   "yeah, probably not...."

We show up at the Shawnut Inn with the puppy, the guiy at the door stops us...
   "You cant bring THAT in here!!!"
   Wife says.. "Oh... OK, will you tell the President that the puppy hes going to auction isnt allowed inside?"
   "OOOhhhh, ok, Please, go right in!!!!!"

We go in. i have a store bought suit, my wife is in a nice dress.. We sit at a table, two other couples are sitting there, in thousand dollar suits, ladies in Diamonds and gold with 300 dollar hairdo's....  The two couples at our table, get up, and go to another table...  let me tell you, this old country boy was pretty angry off...
   before i could decide which one of the rich bstds i was going to break in half first, the secret service comes in and spreads out in the room...
   EVERYONE in that room, EXCEPT the Secret service, and of course, my TICKED OFF wife and I...   go up to the doors and create quite a scene as George and his wife come in.. they are talking and laughing and greeting people.....
   ....and Barbra sees the puppy in my wifes arms... she Elbows her way through the crowd, and sits down beside my wife. In moments, they are talking and laughing, and of course, Barbra snagged the puppy in the meantime...
   Then George makes his way to the table, and sits beside me while everyone eats and does their thing... (and are turning all sorts of different colors in envy and anger) and within moments, we are talking about hunting and fishing.. we talked about some of the crazy things he did, like running off to the pier in his boat to have a good conversation with real people (fishemen) while the secret service panicked..    I had, the most pleasant evening, with genuine, real conversation. i dont recall how many thousand dollars that puppy sold for, but it was a lot... they asked us to do it again next year, and I told him we would be happy to, so long as i didnt have to talk to anyone but him and his wife....
   He smiled and nodded. "I understand completely."
   We saw them several times after that, and every time, was as genuine and friendly as the first.
   I do NOT, get along well with politicians, or people who think they are better than someone else, because of money, or job position. I have been fired for breaking a supervisors nose in the past... but, when I spent time with The Bush's, I can honestly say, they were down to earth, easy to talk to and friendly with no sign of condescension or arrogance. Neither one of them EVER got up and left our table once they sat down to go speak with anyone else. they sat with us the entire time, and conversed like real people.
  There are people you respect because of their postion, and there are people you respect because of who they are.
   i voted for him because I liked what he stood for and wanted. I would have died for him because of the type of person he was.

The moral of the story...  if Obama walked in and sat beside you...  WOULD Obama walk in and sit beside you... No? well that kind of ruins the rest of the story........

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »

It was a MISERABLE 95F here today.  I blame George W Bush  grin

When we're back to 70F later this week, I will thank Obama  Smiley
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »

It was a MISERABLE 95F here today.  I blame George W Bush  grin

When we're back to 70F later this week, I will thank Obama  Smiley

I will only agree, that getting to those 70's IS going to be so NICE!!!    FINALLY, I can get some WOOD cut!   chop chop

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
sterling
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »

It's the Obama effect  angel
.   Obama who??  that's the guy who has made an idiot of himself and makes the once great country he is president of look weak on the world stage. You are proud of that I guess?
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen”  Winston Churchill.
sterling
Queen Bee

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen”  Winston Churchill.

So you have go be strong to be played like a puppet by Putin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next