Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 02:54:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you use to treat your wooden top feeders?  (Read 1001 times)
AliciaH
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 762


Location: Enumclaw Plateau, WA


« on: September 05, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »

I have wooden top feeders with slatted floats for the bees.  I didn't paint them as I was worried the bees might chew on the paint.  The result is some black mold that has developed on the inside of the feeders.

Do any of you paint the insides of your wooden top feeders?  Or do you treat with some other product?  If so, have the bees tried to chew the product off?

Thanks!
Logged
Joe D
Super Bee
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 2011

Location: Ovett, Ms


« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:37 PM »

I don't use the wooden top feeders, I use a 1 1/2quart jar with holes in the lid.  Every time I fill them I take them apart and clean with water and a brush.  If I don't black mold will start in the jar.  Hope this is a little help.  I am lucky I have running water and a hundred feet of hose at each bee yard, makes it easy to clean things.  Good luck




Joe
Logged
RC
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 253

Location: Perry, Fl


« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »

You might put some Honey B Healthy, absorbic acid or a drop of bleach in the feed to reduce the chance of growing mold. Some folks use the absorbic acid to mimic the pH of honey.
Logged
RHBee
Queen Bee
****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1095


Location: Pinopolis, SC

That's my pooch.


« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:14:22 AM »

Ok, Let me preface this reply stating that I have only used hive top feeders made out of plastic. I've looked into using wooden types and have read that some use bees wax as a coating and others use urethane as a wood sealant.
The mold can be removed with bleach. After application allow the feeders to air out exposed to sunlight. This helps to break down the chlorine faster.
Hope this helps you out.
Logged

Later,
Ray
rwlaw
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 183

Location: Grand Rapids Michigan


« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »

Had to research chemcoat epoxy paint for a extractor, some say that it was good for wooden feeders. Waiting for it to dry was like watching grass grow tho.
 I like the Mason jar feeders also, takes too much time to clean the top feeders & I don't have to worry about the stinkin SHBCs fouling the syrup also.
Logged

Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!
AliciaH
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 762


Location: Enumclaw Plateau, WA


« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »

Thanks for the tips!  Sounds like I have some experimenting to do.  I'll try the techniques mentioned above and do some more research over the winter.

Thanks, again!
Smiley
Logged
S.M.N.Bee
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 131

Location: Montgomery M.N.


« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »

Alicia

I use marine spar varnish [Three coats] to coat mine. I do get a little mold now and then but a little oxyclean will take care of clean up.

It works for me!  Good luck.


John
Logged
AliciaH
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 762


Location: Enumclaw Plateau, WA


« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »

I was wondering about some kind of a marine finish.  I was concerned about the bees chewing on it.  I may try anyway and just keep an eye on the situation.

Thanks!
Logged
Jim 134
Super Bee
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 2280


Location: Hinsdale, New Hampshire 03451 USA


WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:08 PM »

I was wondering about some kind of a marine finish.  I was concerned about the bees chewing on it.  I may try anyway and just keep an eye on the situation.

Thanks!

Do bees had teeth Huh  rolleyes



   
              BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley
Logged

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
S.M.N.Bee
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 131

Location: Montgomery M.N.


« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »

I have had mine coated for four years with no issues with chewing or leakage.

John
Logged
AliciaH
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 762


Location: Enumclaw Plateau, WA


« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »

Thanks, John, think I'm going to apply a finish like that this winter and give it a shot!  Smiley
Logged
Vance G
Queen Bee
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1155

Location: Great Falls,Montana


« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »

I would  bet that any primarily tropical insect that has lived for 130 million years in hollow logs and rock clefs can pretty well deal with any variety of mold.  A  little bleach will kill the mold and the feeders are fine the way they are. 
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines | Sitemap Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.

Google visited last this page December 01, 2014, 11:47:59 AM