Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 23, 2014, 04:22:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My hive smells (great)--WHY?  (Read 1838 times)
Bee Curious
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »

The smell of artificial butter is mostly butyric acid which is also the smell of Parmesan cheese, vomit and bee go, just in differing amounts.

I've always wondered if it's the smell of goldenrod or the smell of asters as they both always bloom at the same time here.  But I smell gym socks.  Some describe it as butterscotch.  Part of it, I'm sure, is the subjectivity of smell, but some of it may also be the proportion of asters to goldenrod...

I'm the original poster here, and today, I noticed a sour-ish smell from my hive.  Goldenrod is now in bloom, and the asters haven't really opened up yet.  So, I am thinking, I've got the goldenrod stink.  Maybe the asters will compound the smell when they really get blooming? The bees are bringing in some neon orange pollen and white pollen.
TNBeeLady
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 05:57:03 PM »

Well we finally have goldenrod blooming here, & my bee yard definitely has the stinky sock smell! 
rwurster
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »

Rabbit bush here plus golden rod = my apiary smelling like a locker room lol Sad
I'm happy though that they are packing in honey for the winter even if it smells bad.

Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »

I haven't seen any goldenrod blooming around here but I think my bees have found some. There's at least 5 acres in front of the house and 5 to 10 behind the house that isn't but about a minute from blooming. I looked at the blooms and they were losing their green color for yellow.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next