Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frames filled with one cell type - brood or pollen or honey  (Read 616 times)

Offline Native Plants

• New Bee
Frames filled with one cell type - brood or pollen or honey
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
Many frames in all four hives seem to be singular purpose.  They have brood out to the edge, or have pollen in almost all the cells.  I understand why the honey frames might be specific, but all frames?  This would not seem to be a good pattern for winter.  Does it fall under the 'normal' category?

The ragweed is blooming here, and the  frames of pollen are a gorgeous color of yellow-orange.
Always happiest when learning.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Frames filled with one cell type - brood or pollen or honey
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Welcome to the board.

I am a new beek but I believe that is not a bad thing. Does the hive have any honey in it at all? If it doesn't then you are where I was a couple of weeks ago. If it doesn't have any or very little honey then you probably need to feed. Is there a flow on in your area?

Others will correct me if I'm wrong.
If the time has come to bury your guns, then the time has come to use your guns.

Offline Native Plants

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »
The two original hives have some honey stored, with very little capped.  I made one split from each hive when I re-queened the packages.  The two split hives have almost zero stored honey.  I am feeding all four.  The ragweed is in full bloom, and the asters and goldenrod are a few weeks out.  I don't have acres of these near me, but tons of ragweed by the stream that they are working.
Always happiest when learning.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
Frames with just pollen and stores and some with just brood-- not uncommon. They will arrange things as needed. As the brood hatches and winter gets closer they will backfill as needed.
John 3:16

anything