Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 05:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make 9 million jobless vanish  (Read 809 times)
GSF
Super Bee

« on: August 18, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »

Here's some interesting facts about where we are in reality on the employment percentage. They take into account the folks who used to work, desire to work, not working, but are no longer counted as being part of the unemployed because of the length of time they were unemployed. Also they provide charts and such on the "underemployed". Interesting stuff but too lengthy to post. Shadow stats also has some data but there's too much free information out there for me to have to pay for a subscription.

http://danielamerman.com/articles/2012/WorkC.html

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »

Eyeopening article. We all know statistics get manipulated to suit agendas but that is about the best description I've seen.

No reasons given for the lack of jobs, I can't help but think it's due to cheap imports and lose of lower wage jobs like garment/shoe factories. Or is it a coincidence real unemployment shot up after Free Trade Agreements?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »

NAFTA passed in 94 and we have had some of our lowest periods of unemployment since, both under clinton and bush. 

the thing that keep business from hiring is either a stagnant economy that does not require more product, or uncertainty about the future.   the cost of labor is the biggest cost for most businesses, so it's an investment that has to be carefully made.

i have 3 friends who have blue collar type businesses.  well drilling, cement pouring, and commercial farming.  all have cut back or at least not expanded because of the economy, the regulations/taxes, and most importantly...obama care.  small business traditionally creates the most new jobs in a recovering economy, but because of the above factors, they are afraid to do anything.

regulations almost always come with a cost.  usually some kind of fee.  this is a tax.  regulations have exploded at both the state and federal level.  while housing here never went into the tank as much as in other places, my friends the cement people, are still experiencing a slow down in what was a booming business.  people are not buying new homes.  they are fixing up what they have.  in those cases where new places are being built, they come with new restrictions and cost.  same with well drilling.  the company pays to the state ever time they drill, and so does the homeowner/business having the well done.
i had to pay 100's of dollars to the state for the well i put in a couple of years ago.

farming has been good as far as weather and demand, but labor costs have gone up.  oregon raised the minimum wage and with obama care coming, the labor cost will skyrocket.  in the case of my farming friends, they had insurance for the full time workers and paid cash for the part time workers health care as needed.  obama care will require them to provide a much more expensive insurance and will require them to buy insurance for all or pay penalty for all. 

take any industry, including health care, and you'll find that operating costs have gone up, so prices have gone up.  all that free stuff?  someone pays for it.
  no one is going to hire if they don't have to.  no one is going to hire full time workers that will cost them more than part time workers. 

very rarely is there a problem that could not be solved by getting government out, and the free market in. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »

NAFTA passed in 94 and we have had some of our lowest periods of unemployment since, both under clinton and bush.

NAFTA is the one everyone remembers.How about the rest of these.Look at Trade agreements in effect.
 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_free_trade_agreements

very rarely is there a problem that could not be solved by getting government out, and the free market in. 

Agreed to a point.

I work a blue collar job. I find very little fault with small business. And yes regulations/government  are strangling job growth there.  Small business built America.  Its multinational profit driven.......oh crap, never mind.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »

there's really no point in any kind of business if there is no profit.  open trade is not a problem as long as you are not putting your own people at a disadvantage by taxing and regulating them to death.  since it is the job of a business to make a profit and hiring, etc. comes as a result, you can't blame business for jumping ship (state of country) when business opportunities are better elsewhere.  in fact, they'd be foolish not to.

make a place friendly for business, like car manufacturing in the south, and business comes. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »

I think you have a good point about being friendly to business and they will come. I believe Alabama is now ranked in the top four car manufacturers in the Nation.

I've been to the doctors off and on (nothing serious) lately. They said you know it's bad when health care is laying off people.

Now where is that "Fair Tax" bill when you need it?

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »

At what point does profit become greed?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »

at no point.  greed is a separate issue.  greed is a condition of the heart.  profit is the result of providing what is wanted at a price people are willing to pay. take companies like apple and Microsoft both of which have huge profit margins.  no one seems bothered by that.  on the other end, insurance and oil companies have very small profit margins and everyone has a fit.  that's more about politics than reality, but the left swallows it down whole....as do the occupy children.

i know that you will try to say the companies make money on the backs of their workers.  that is probably true in some places and with some companies, but when you are in a place where you have choices and you do not exercise those choices, you are equally to blame.  market forces, when allowed, work on both ends.  my DIL, as an example, was looking at a job in one of the Dakotas that paid 3 times what she now makes and great benefits.  why?  they need the workers so they have to pay the premium.
on the other hand, my son works for a company that is trying to cut hours and people.  why?  because their expenses are up, but profit is not.   that's a big problem for those companies that have retirement commitments and share holders. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »

Now where is that "Fair Tax" bill when you need it?

i am more in favor of a flat tax that is paid no matter the source of income.  i would include SSI past the point where you have taken out what you put in + the interest.  if everyone were required to pay into the system, no matter how little the amount, they might care more about how their money was spent.  when it's YOUR money being wasted, it tends to tick you off just a bit.

Alexis de Tocqueville
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »

at no point.  greed is a separate issue.  greed is a condition of the heart.  profit is the result of providing what is wanted at a price people are willing to pay

I find the disconnect between the two interesting when they are connected by two factors. Money and Humans

Oh but look how far we have strayed off topic again. I may just have to refuse to play with you if you keep leading me astray. angel

Lol
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

they are connected by two factors. Money and Humans

they are, but it's how those people relate to money that makes a difference.  charity involves both also  Wink

see how easy it is to get OT?   Wink

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »

But this is DATA.  One cannot argue with DATA! Wink

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print