Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 09:49:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk About Refractometers and Moisture???  (Read 411 times)
sc-bee
Super Bee

« on: August 17, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »

All this talk about moisture and refractometers. I pulled my capped honey, processed it immediately and never blinked an eye. I don't have a refractometer. Am I missing something? I thought if the bees had capped it and you pulled it and you process it right away, there is no worry about the moisture content.

I am talking about 100% capped honey that is not left sitting somewhere to gather moisture before you extract it. If not all capped I give it the shake test but I never add to many that are not capped. All this talk on here lately about the wet humid year, have I missed something  huh Naw we don't usually have this much rain here but I will show you humid any day of the week in any summer.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:19:38 PM by sc-bee » Logged

John 3:16
10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »

there are a few threads about this right now.  i've never tested the moisture content of my honey but i've never seen such thin honey before this year.  has this mostly been a problem for us in the south east?   
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

See my post on this thread:  http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,42391.0.html

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »

Yes it is a repeat thread. The others had gotten so long with other info and my question is only about capped honey.

I am dense -- I understand what you are saying about diluted nectar. But are you saying, they will cap the honey even though it is not what we consider the proper moisture content?

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »

Yes it is a repeat thread. The others had gotten so long with other info and my question is only about capped honey.

I am dense -- I understand what you are saying about diluted nectar. But are you saying, they will cap the honey even though it is not what we consider the proper moisture content?

Yes.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »

Yes.

As they say you keep learning everyday --- thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next