Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 05:05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great way to water bees!  (Read 549 times)
Spear
House Bee

« on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »

The beekeeper thet I'm getting 2 of my hives from has a great way of providing water for his bees. He has a large bucket with a lid, he drilled some small holes about an intch below the rim and filled the bucket with water, put the lid on and turned it upside down.

I'm thinking that this same method can be used for open feeding near the bee yard. Wht do you guys think?
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »

Some us same method to open feed.

John 3:16
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:21:32 AM »

You know, with small enough holes, probably 1/16 in a plastic bucket for syrup, that looks like a great way to open feed syrup to several hives and not have so much congestion.  I like that idea a lot.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »

You know, with small enough holes, probably 1/16 in a plastic bucket for syrup, that looks like a great way to open feed syrup to several hives and not have so much congestion.  I like that idea a lot.

You drill the holes lower down in the collar area around the pail. It leaks into the collar area and fills the collar.

hiram.ga.bee.man
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »

That method has been around. Agreed with previous post, holes are supposed to be lower to allow escaping waterwater to rise in the lip of the bucket creating a vacuum inside the bucket.

You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?
Natureboy68
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »

Great idea! Thanks!
Spear
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »

I found out the hard way that for water it is ok to have the holes above the collor of the bucket as long as it stands level. However the feed is thicker and heavyer so the holes have to be in the collor or it just keeps on leaking out non stop.
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »

I found out the hard way that for water it is ok to have the holes above the collor of the bucket as long as it stands level. However the feed is thicker and heavyer so the holes have to be in the collor or it just keeps on leaking out non stop.

Correct-

I had a new beekeeper contact me recently. She was feeding her bees with a five gallon bucket of this sort and she stated she was about to go broke feeding them. Little did she know she was feeding the pollinators bees nearby  grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next