Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 07:59:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Economic Collaspe?  (Read 4977 times)
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

I find it intriguing that people think an economic collapse can't happen.  As if it has not happened before.  And rapidly.  I'm not saying that it will or won't, but I don't think we understand what happened in the past well enough to avoid it in the future.

I agree. I also have to wonder why the signs we ARE aware of are invisible to so many of those who think it cant happen.. a case of belief, or complacency overriding the obvious?

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »

""Isn’t there any other beeks out there with formal training in economics""

Probably not. Most beeks skirted the brain washing and retained their common sense.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »

a case of belief, or complacency overriding the obvious?

i think there is a tendency to think that we have evolved beyond the problems of the past.  we have an intellectual acceptance of the fact that things can go bad, but we don't have gut concept of what that means. 

i have had the good fortune to travel and see how others live.  i have been in Mexico and seen abject poverty in what should be a wealthy country.  in Italy, not a 3rd world country, and seen crime, unemployment at 25%, and poverty. my husband has crawled around Africa and seen the same.  but that's over there.  it's not here.  it can't happen here.

right after Katrina i drove into NO.  it was like something out of a B scifi movie.   dark, empty, papers blowing down the road, and one or two dogs.  it was shocking.  shocking to have a family drive up in their car and ask if we had any food because they couldn't find any and had been living in the car.  shocking to see people sitting on the ground crying with no idea what they should do next.  shocking to see that blank stare in the eyes of little kids who had lost everything and had no idea what was happening to them.  no stores open.  no hotels, no fuel. no safe water to drink.  no power. 

that was one small area and it sucked up all the resources of a number of agencies.  now, you can argue the reasons for some of what happened before and after...but imagine that kind of disaster over several states, over a region, or over a country...maybe not even ours.  Hurricane Sandy was much the same as far as what it has taken to care for the area. 
what happens when we can't meet the needs of the people.  what happens if the disaster is so big or lasts so long that people are left to fend for themselves.  what if the power goes out or the fuel is gone? what happens if the health care system is overwhelmed by some outbreak?  what if the food is gone?

after ww1 they thought there couldn't be another great war.  in the 20th century, they didn't think millions could be killed by disease, as had happened in the past.  how many things do we think can't happen because we have learned better? 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »

I agree totally...

how many things do we think can't happen because we have learned better? 

that's exactly the problem, you would THINK we learned better, that we learned from past mistakes of others, and yet... here we are.

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »

I was listening to (or reading?) someone from Cuba talking about what was happening as his country was going through  their economic collapse, or what ever it was. He said something that got my attention real quick. He said, "It wasn't that bad the first two years, but then the warehouses emptied out." I'm thinking 2 YEARS!, In my way of thinking the two year mark should be the time when things are being put back together.

I am weary, but I'm prepared. I have yet to do this but I'm going to. We know that the masses will be moving seeking basic needs. Rather than fight them and deal with diseases why not just trick them? How? Official looking signs. FEMA Camp (name a familiar place that'll take 2 to 3 days to walk to) then in small letters, food, water, showers, medical support..,

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next