Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 03:54:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you spot the varroa mite?  (Read 1417 times)
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »

>can they be found on dead bees or do they "abandon ship" as soon as the gal is fading?

They abandon ship.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
JWChesnut
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »

Usual situation of mites are between abdomen scales. There skin is easy to penetrate.

Finski, language barrier or no, has the key information in this silly thread.  Phoretic mites reside between abdomen scales on the ventral side.  The pix you see of them hitchhiking on the bee thorax or legs are totally misleading.   This is why you must do a shake or alcohol wash to have an accurate count.

I have heard from beginning beekeepers "I don't have mites, I don't see them when I watch the entrance, I solved the mite problem by "Not Treating"."   I take a cup of their bees and show them the mites by doing a sugar shake.  You see this same denial on this forum.

GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »

Usual situation of mites are between abdomen scales. There skin is easy to penetrate.

Finski, language barrier or no, has the key information in this silly thread.  Phoretic mites reside between abdomen scales on the ventral side.  The pix you see of them hitchhiking on the bee thorax or legs are totally misleading.   This is why you must do a shake or alcohol wash to have an accurate count.

I have heard from beginning beekeepers "I don't have mites, I don't see them when I watch the entrance, I solved the mite problem by "Not Treating"."   I take a cup of their bees and show them the mites by doing a sugar shake.  You see this same denial on this forum.

JW - I don't get what you're saying.

Also, Finski doesn't have a language barrier problem he has a people problem. Calling folks names isn't a language barrier problem. Folks from other countries don't have any problem communicating decently. He just has a miserable life or something.

Ever heard of the American Chestnut Society folks? We have chestnuts down in our woods. Has to be the American because no one would have ever went back there just to plant them. I sure hope they are successful in breeding back and creating a resistant strain. One of our dulcimers is made from wormy chestnut wood. A fellow in Townsend Tn built it out of lumber he got from a huge barn tear down years ago.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »

Also, Finski doesn't have a language barrier problem he has a people problem. Calling folks names isn't a language barrier problem. Folks from other countries don't have any problem communicating decently. He just has a miserable life or something.

Come on dude it's your thread play nice, just  grin and bear it!

John 3:16
JWChesnut
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

Ever heard of the American Chestnut Society folks? We have chestnuts down in our woods. Has to be the American because no one would have ever went back there just to plant them. I sure hope they are successful in breeding back and creating a resistant strain. One of our dulcimers is made from wormy chestnut wood. A fellow in Townsend Tn built it out of lumber he got from a huge barn tear down years ago.

I  send them membership every year http://www.acf.org/ .  Their backcrossing program is only one of several approaches being tried. Chestnuts are close to making a comeback.
There are several of the resistant crosses planted on the Washington DC mall, as memorials to USDA employees lost in Afghanistan.
There are relictual stands in several states and outplanted orchards in Wisconsin and Oregon.  The famous Salem Wisconsin outlier (a planted woodlot) now has blight, but trees are being protected by deliberately injecting hypo-virulent strains.  I know the relicts in Georgia and Alabama have been sampled for resistance (as opposed to avoiding the blight by being remote from Red Oak, the alternate host of the fungus).

Beekeepers might be interested that the toxic nature of the fungus is its release of Oxalic Acid-- damages the trees delicate cambium.

Pix of a blight-resistant Memorial American Chestnut planted at USDA headquarters on Washington DC Mall.

GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »

JW, you probably already know this. The story behind the story of my wife's dulcimer is years ago they came through the mountains and warned folks about the blight coming through. They encouraged them to cut down all the chestnuts they could and build new barns, cabins, or what not. I guess they were trying to create a barrier by having the trees out of the way. I need to take a trek back there and look to see if they are still around. I remember back in the 70s they were probably at least a foot across in width. Someone told me they theorized it was sprouts off of the dead ones.

SC; I was being nice angel

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next