Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 03:45:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Beek from Southern Middle TN  (Read 709 times)
MsCarol
House Bee

« on: August 07, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »

Howdy!!!!
Brand new to the forum so still stumbling around. Brand new to bee keeping that began when I received a frantic call from a neighbor this last May asking if I still wanted bees. That there was a swarm in their bushes. Not having a clue what I was doing, I managed to capture it and get them settled into one of the hives I had purchased several years before my spouse passed away.
A bit about myself, I am widowed 3 years now. The late hubby had worked bees as a teen in the mid '50s, before I was even born. He always said he wanted to show me how, but as far as we ever got was to purchase the equipment - medium 8 frame hives and beginners kit. I had to replace the "kit" this spring after a house fire destroyed most everything. The hives were in a different building thankfully.
I run (or try to) a cattle ranch as my profession. Have about a 60-70 cow herd running on 600 acres along with far too many horses. There are a few goats, poultry and my rather large pack of mutts ...and a few cats.
Always a bit of a homesteader at heart and an avid gardener, bees were something I have wanted to try despite being terrified as a child of stinging insects.
So I am essentially learning by reading profusely and "on the job training". A couple weeks ago a different neighbor contacted me with a small swarm in his yard. Successfully managed to get that one home as well and it is trying to build in the second hive. I am sure I will have many questions concerning getting that one through the winter.
My biggest recent thrill was I finally saw the queen of the bigger hive. They sure can move fast!!!
So I hope you all can put up with me and many stupid questions. I now will buckle down and start reading. One member here already cleared up some of my confusion as to bee behavior via their blog before I started to panic that there was something really wrong. This IS farming country and spraying is common.

MsCarol in presently soggy southern middle TN
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »

Howdy Neighbor. Welcome to Beemaster.

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »

Welcome to the forum MsCarol.
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Ms Carol.  You may want to join a local bee club also, they can bee a big help.  If you have any questions, just post em here, someone will give you an answer.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe
mikecva
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  cheer   -Mike

Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
beeman2009
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 05:14:46 PM »

Welcome from Northern Middle TN. Wish you well. Ask any questions you like. The only stupid/dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.  grin This is a nice place to find good answers.

All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009
TNBeeLady
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »

Welcome MsCarol!  I'm also in soggy middle TN (Woodbury). This is definitely the site to ask questions, & to just read & learn.  You'll enjoy it!
JPinMO
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »

Welcome, MsCarol; you sound like one tough cookie! Running a farm and surviving a house fire, God love ya!

And, DEFINITELY find your local Bee Club(s); you should be able to find some local help, and hopefully a mentor!

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either. – Albert Einstein
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

Welcome - a little late on my behalf.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
adkotahajesban
New Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »

Welcome to the forums!
hiram.ga.bee.man
New Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 11:33:17 PM »

A warm welcome to the forum. There its truly a wealth of information here and experienced beekeepers willing to share knowledge.

You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »

Welcome to the forum MsCarol. Don't think that your question are stupid, we all probably asked someone the same ones some where along the line. Someone else helped u and now we can do the same. It's called pass it forward.

It is better to be soggy than bone dry. Costs a whole lots less to feed our cattle when it is soggy than when it is bone dry.  Smiley Last year it was so dry that my 1 acre pond dropped more than 4 feet, even the dry hydrant pipe was in the air. This year it has been over flowing a lot.  grin Last year I was buying hay and feed, this year they cannot keep the grass down and pick only the choosiest parts.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next