Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 26, 2014, 03:12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about marking and clipping queens  (Read 1349 times)
cbarton
New Bee

« on: January 15, 2006, 12:25:14 PM »

I am about to place an order for bees to fill my first hive, and wonder if anyone has suggestions or comments about marking and/or clipping the  queen?

I have read that marking the queen offers some benefits for the beginner becasue she may be easier to see.  What about purchasing queens with "clipped" wings?  I have also heard that clipping the queen's wings prevents her from flying away from the hive which seems as if it might be helpful.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping to get me started.

Craig B
Finsky
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »

I have clipped my queens 40 years. First I loosed some queens at winter. Then I started to clip queen at spring before swarming season. After that I did not lose queen at winter. I do not mark queens but it helps to notice them.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »

Marking queens not only helps you find them,  but also confirms you still have your original queen.  It is always good to know if your hive has swarmed or replaced the queen with an emergency queen,  which in my opinion should be then replaced.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 03:21:39 PM »

>I have read that marking the queen offers some benefits for the beginner becasue she may be easier to see.

Yes, and as mentioned, you can also tell if she's been replaced.  Good to know when you suspect a supercedure or a swarm.  Or even if you didn't.

> What about purchasing queens with "clipped" wings? I have also heard that clipping the queen's wings prevents her from flying away from the hive which seems as if it might be helpful.

They only fly away if they are swarming.  Clipping will slow them down, but they will still swarm if you aren't paying attention and they will simply leave with one of the virgins instead.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I always mark mine.  I seldom clip them, but I don't think it hurts.  I've had clipped queens that were several years old.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
mohamed nawar
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Michael Bush
>I have read that marking the queen offers some benefits for the beginner becasue she may be easier to see.

Yes, and as mentioned, you can also tell if she's been replaced.  Good to know when you suspect a supercedure or a swarm.  Or even if you didn't.

> What about purchasing queens with "clipped" wings? I have also heard that clipping the queen's wings prevents her from flying away from the hive which seems as if it might be helpful.

They only fly away if they are swarming.  Clipping will slow them down, but they will still swarm if you aren't paying attention and they will simply leave with one of the virgins instead.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheesy
I always mark mine
.  I seldom clip them, but I don't think it hurts.  I've had clipped queens that were several years old.
Finsky
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 04:32:29 PM »

Quote from: Michael Bush
>  I've had clipped queens that were several years old.

I keep queens only one year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next