That said, about 1.5% of a colony dies every day and there are a caste of "undertaker" bees who remove in-hive dead or dying bees. Bees with pesticide exposure will die in the nest. Most foragers die away from the nest.
I only saw one with it's wings messed up. Looked like they were crumpled from fighting to me.
You can verify mite infestation by washing a half cup of bees in alcohol (gold standard but kills the bees), shaking in sugar powder (bees can survive this).
I can do a mite check. What alcohol - Isoprpyl? Do I just immerse them in it and mites separate if they are present?
I imagine the sugar powder is a visual check in the remaining powdered sugar after the bees have left it?
I thought maybe the bees had gotten into something (pesticide) that they shouldn't have - I watch my hive everyday and this is the first I have seen of this. (I have seem onesies in the past, but this was a lot to me!)