Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 27, 2014, 08:00:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commercial Kitchen for extraction and packaging  (Read 1138 times)
alfred
House Bee

« on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »

I have been looking at the issues surrounding selling my honey and bee products to the public. In Colorado we have a new cottage food law that allows some sales of in the home produced goods without any inspection of premises and minimal regulation. But it is very limiting as to who you can sell to and how much you can sell.

So I am thinking that I will ultimately want to be able to sell my products wholesale and retail, and be fully licensed. Since I am starting up I can’t yet afford to have my own dedicated licensed kitchen space for extraction and bottling/packaging. It looks like it will be relatively easy to find a kitchen to do the packaging in (still looking locally though so any ideas are appreciated).

Those of you who are already doing this may be able to tell me if the entire extraction process has to take place in the licensed kitchen. What I mean is that I currently do crush and strain. Would I have to do all of the cut and strain and settling in the kitchen, or could I cut the comb from the frames in the yard and allow it to strain into a bucket; and then do all of the bottling and packaging in the certified kitchen. In other words at what point in the process do I need to be in the certified kitchen? Could I simply bring my buckets of extracted honey to the kitchen ready to bottle??

As a related question let’s assume that at some point I decide to switch to extraction rather than crush and strain, how would that change the requirement?

I realize that some of this is regulated at the state and county level and some at the federal level. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alfred
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

Here in Florida, I can extract and sell my honey in bulk with no kitchen. It is the bottling that changes the game. So here, I can extract the honey, put it in my 3 gallon buckets and take it to a certified kitchen and bottle it.
Does that help?
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »

You might check out some local churches to rent their kitchens.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »

It's that way here in NE as well.  I can extract it in my kitchen and sell it in bulk to the bottler, who has to have a certified honey house to bottle it.  It seems like more could go wrong extracting it, but since bottlers buy honey more as a commodity, the law seems to be designed around that concept.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »

I have a Lic commercial kitchen that I do all my extraction and bottling in.   We also have a cottage food law that you can process (Michigan calls removing honey from the comb a processed food) and sell in stores but special labeling is required saying your not inspected by the state.  We can also sell comb honey without a Lic. because its not considered processed.   All of this is state specific so you need to talk to someone there.  I would also advise to talk to a FEW beekeepers that are already operating a commercial kitchen.   The reason I say this is because when I got started I looked up the requirements on the Mi. beekeepers Assoc. and it was completely wrong.   Someone simply copied the commercial kitchen requirements to there site. They were what you would need if you have a restaurant. Here in Michigan a complete kitchen is not required. A restricted kitchen is all that is needed because almost everything is wash in place. If I followed the assoc site I would have had a 3 bowl sink, handwash sink and  a mop bucket sink.  All I needed was one sink.   
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

I have a Lic commercial kitchen that I do all my extraction and bottling in.   We also have a cottage food law that you can process (Michigan calls removing honey from the comb a processed food) and sell in stores but special labeling is required saying your not inspected by the state.  We can also sell comb honey without a Lic. because its not considered processed.   All of this is state specific so you need to talk to someone there.  I would also advise to talk to a FEW beekeepers that are already operating a commercial kitchen.   The reason I say this is because when I got started I looked up the requirements on the Mi. beekeepers Assoc. and it was completely wrong.   Someone simply copied the commercial kitchen requirements to there site. They were what you would need if you have a restaurant. Here in Michigan a complete kitchen is not required. A restricted kitchen is all that is needed because almost everything is wash in place. If I followed the assoc site I would have had a 3 bowl sink, handwash sink and  a mop bucket sink.  All I needed was one sink.   

This is the same as the state of Maine.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next