Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 05:00:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robbing/feeding  (Read 299 times)
JackM
Field Bee

« on: July 23, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »

From the description of robbing, I don't think it is occurring ... yet ....   But I have a very weak hive that is also light and the dearth has begun here.

1. Will keeping track of the amount of syrup I give them give me a guideline as to giving them enough stores for the winter, but me not be left with a bunch of not pure honey frames?  Any idea on ratio of 2:1 to a medium frame?  I know with honey I am getting about 2 gallons on a full super.  I want them to have a full super plus the super the brood is in...no large frames.

2.  This hive is next to 3 hives one extremely strong.  I have closed down the entrance.  I am feeding from the top of the hive and that is not accessable except from the top inside of the hive.  They used a pint in 12 hours, I would estimate 3 pounds of bees in the hive.  Any idea on my risk of robbing? 

All the hives seem like they are on something, but the stores in the weak hive are not enough to survive the winter at this point.  Not been a good year for honey, all are lighter than previously at this point of the season.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »

All the hives seem like they are on something, but the stores in the weak hive .

Take from other hives frames of emerging brood and give a food frame from other hives.

.Shake bees off from brood comb and give it to the hive. Then after a while give another as long that it is strong enough.

Language barrier NOT included
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

>1. Will keeping track of the amount of syrup I give them give me a guideline as to giving them enough stores for the winter, but me not be left with a bunch of not pure honey frames?  Any idea on ratio of 2:1 to a medium frame?

When the bees are done it is all 4:1.

>2.  This hive is next to 3 hives one extremely strong.  I have closed down the entrance.  I am feeding from the top of the hive and that is not accessable except from the top inside of the hive.  They used a pint in 12 hours, I would estimate 3 pounds of bees in the hive.  Any idea on my risk of robbing? 

In a dearth?  Always high.

http://bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm

I always feed the strong hives and give capped honey to the weak ones.  If you really need to feed then only give them what they can suck up overnight and there will be none in the morning to steal.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
JackM
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »

OH good idea, thanks.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next