Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 01:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smokey Taste?  (Read 1402 times)
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »

What I do is simply wait for cold weather to set in and the bees are no longer in the supers, the fall flow has or has not happened, so I can better judge what to leave the bees for winter and I can harvest and measure what they have by the box.  I simply pull boxes until I get to the cluster, estimate how many frames of bees I have and try to leave something between one and two frames of capped honey for every frame of bees.  Two is my target, but I'll settle for one.  Since I'm doing it by the box it never comes out a perfectly even 2:1 or even 1:1 but it will be somewhere in that range.  I can take full boxes of honey and put on the light hives.  I can add dry sugar if they are too light and I have no honey to give them.

By doing this I never have to drive bees out of the supers and very seldom do I have to feed at all.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »

What I do is simply wait for cold weather to set in and the bees are no longer in the supers, the fall flow has or has not happened, so I can better judge what to leave the bees for winter and I can harvest and measure what they have by the box.  I simply pull boxes until I get to the cluster, estimate how many frames of bees I have and try to leave something between one and two frames of capped honey for every frame of bees.  Two is my target, but I'll settle for one.  Since I'm doing it by the box it never comes out a perfectly even 2:1 or even 1:1 but it will be somewhere in that range.  I can take full boxes of honey and put on the light hives.  I can add dry sugar if they are too light and I have no honey to give them.

By doing this I never have to drive bees out of the supers and very seldom do I have to feed at all.

Pretty interesting Michael. Down here in Florida you may never get to pull honey.  grin
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »

Pretty interesting Michael. Down here in Florida you may never get to pull honey.  grin
Jim

Jim,
LOL!  Sitting here in South Louisiana....I was thinking the exact same thing when I read Michael's post.  Smiley

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »

grin

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »

Yes, I'm sure it won't work in the deep south.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next