Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 12:33:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took the plunge, ordered the Bee Vac  (Read 465 times)
Sour Kraut
House Bee

« on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »

Have two cut-outs to do, so decided to spend the $$ and do it right

This may sound dumb, but.....

What size rubber bands to hold the combs in the frames ?

mikecva
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »

Rubber bands work, I have used waxed dental floss with good results. When the bees repair the comb, I can cut the floss and easily slide it out.  -Mike

Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »

I like rubber bands that are just long enough and heavy enough to hold the comb for a day or 2. When I started, I had some real heavy ones. !/2" wide. problems is that the bees have to cut them out of the hive. Takes them a while. They also have to remove them from the hive. Kind of tough with the big ones. Now I use 1/8" thick, 2" diameter bands. They are big enough to fit on my medium and deep frames and the bees can easily handle them.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
Haddon
House Bee

FEMA Trailer Removal

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »

okay a question just for me

my wife does a mail route and all mail people rubber band your mail before they put it in the box.

My wife uses # 19 rubber band yes they have numbers those are nice they strech really long but you have to use 2 at a time over a deep for the comb to stay in but they strech the whole 19 inchs over a frame long ways you never see anyone do that but it keeps really staight comb.

http://www.amazon.com/Alliance-Sterling-Rubber-Band-Inches/dp/B008X09SZM/ref=sr_1_10?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1373997730&sr=1-10&keywords=size+19+rubber+bands

Right now I am using # 33 rubber bands they are strong enough to use only one over the 9 inch length on a deep frame but still strech enough to use over the 19 inch full length so I am using 33 right now and if there was something between 19 and 33 I would try it but that was the options at the office depot  http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Rubber-Bands-Size-Pack/dp/B0017D7L9C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373997682&sr=8-3&keywords=size+33+rubber+bands

using medium frames and you might find a completely different size to use

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next