When I bought my nucs, one had a broken frame. When the brood emerged, I pull the frame and replaced it with an empty. I then took that frame, cut the comb out and then cut it in half to rubber band to two medium frames so I could "seed" the empty mediums I added to the hives and put one in each hive. It worked, the bees attached the comb to the frames and built new comb on the rest of the frames, except two.
Now the problem is, the old comb that they attached is now as thick as two frames. They won't build on the two frames beside it. And it's full of honey.
I'm thinking of pulling them out and setting them on the hives for the bees to rob out, then cut the old comb out, leaving some of the newer comb for them to use as a guide,and put them back into the hives.