Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 01:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yesterdays surprised Swarm  (Read 211 times)
Parksguyy
House Bee

« on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »

Hey everyone,
On most Sundays, I check my hives ... second year beek here with 4 hives.  I arrived at the farm I keep my bees at, and there is a large bush next to the hives is a rather large swarm.  My buddy tells me this occurred about an hour before, he heard this loud buzzing and watched this cloud of bees land in the bush.  A quick call was made to my partner to bring an empty hive body and whatever else would be needed.  Went ahead and started looking at the other hives while waiting, but within half an hour ... the swarm packed up and left?  No calls last nite from any of the neighboring farms unfortunately.  For the life of me, I have no idea which hive swarmed, they all look like they did before.

The question is, what is the course of action now?  Is the hive that swarmed now in trouble?  Is there something I should be doing?
Any advise would be great.

Of the four hives, one now has 3 honey supers on it, another has two, and two have one (these two have been really slow to work up any comb ... those supers have been on for over 3-4wks now.  The other two hives are averaging a new super every two weeks and we are still about 2-3 wks away from having +15 acres of sunflowers blooming.

sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

For the life of me, I have no idea which hive swarmed, they all look like they did before.

What are the chances they are from somewhere other than your hives?

Nothing really too do as you said you have already checked. Signs to look for: Does everthing have space and room for queen to lay? Spot eggs in all hives? See any other queen cells? See any open queen cells? Any hives with weaker numbers and just capped brood not brood in all stages? Sound like you are in a flow so should have brood of all stages. Any back filling of brood nest?

You said they all look the same as before.

John 3:16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next