Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 11:28:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need bee advice  (Read 338 times)
robst
New Bee

« on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:51 AM »

Hi

Not sure if this is the place to put this post, but im after some advice. While clearing a wood pile I noticed some bees moving around some eggs.

I would like like to get rid of the pile but don't wantvto harm the bees. Any help oradvice would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:29:50 AM by Robo » Logged
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32:27 AM »

You located a bumblebee nest.  The bumble bees are struggling to survive just as the honeybee.  Bumblebees are native pollinators, whereas honeybees are not.   It you can leave them alone until Fall that would be the best option (they only us the nest for one season).  If they can't stay where they are, you could attempt to move the nest.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:04:59 AM »

Cool pics of bumble bees.   
robst
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

You located a bumblebee nest.  The bumble bees are struggling to survive just as the honeybee.  Bumblebees are native pollinators, whereas honeybees are not.   It you can leave them alone until Fall that would be the best option (they only us the nest for one season).  If they can't stay where they are, you could attempt to move the nest.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a beekeeper but would like to help these bees to survive. If I was to move them how would be the best way to go about it?
robst
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »

Cool pics of bumble bees.   

Thanks. My parter was the photograper Smiley She does take good pics.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »

As robo says, youíve found a bumble bee colony.  I moved one last year and raised them in a little box.  I used a box that was about 6Ē x 6Ē x 4Ē tall, but you probably donít really need to put them in a box if your goal is to simply save the bees.  My goal was to watch and observe them so I went the box route with a plexiglass top. 

I picked up my colony with the shovel and put them into my box.  Assuming you donít plan to watch them, maybe you can just use a shovel and gently move the nest to a new location with some protection from the elements (rain).  Bumble bees usually live on of near the ground, often in mouse nests or rubble. 

Iíve never been stung by a bumble bee, but some folks on here claimed their sting was 10x worst than a honey bee.  I donít know, but I figured I would wear my bee suit just in case.  Surprisingly the bumbles really didnít come after me.  They made a LOT of buzzing though. grin  If I was going to do it again and didnít own a bee suit, I would be comfortable doing it wearing thick sweats, a sweater, and a head net.  The thick material of the sweats/sweater is thicker than their stingers so that canít get you.  Rubber dishwashing gloves work well for hand protection.  Just donít panic and gently work the nest free and move to a new location.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:06:04 AM »

we were cleaning up some junk and found a nest under some roofing metal.  the nests are usually not to big so if you can slip a flat shovel under the whole thing and move it to a new and sheltered place...you might try digging them a new space and setting the entire nest in there. 

all that i have found at my place were under things.  tarps, roofing, hay....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called ďthe government.Ē They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next