Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's this plant??  (Read 812 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
What's this plant??
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
My grass cutting fellow always trims around this and it's to 4 feet. Curious what it is. Thanks.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
Re: What's this plant??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »
Looks like pokeweed. Do the berries turn purple when they're ripe?

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »
Not sure about the berries, we never seen it  get that big before. The leaves are not sticky or felt like, they're slick on the bottom as on top nothing prickly about them either - hope that helps I'll check out pokeweed. thank you

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
Not sure about the berries, we never seen it  get that big before. The leaves are not sticky or felt like, they're slick on the bottom as on top nothing prickly about them either - hope that helps I'll check out pokeweed. thank you

Check out the image.  It looks like Tee Backey to me.  Likely a bright variety.  Tee Backey in my opinion will be the next big thing in contraband.  Your lucky to already have a local strain in your possession.

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:15 PM »
Pokeberry, or pokeweed, or poke salat. Whatever you call it, poke salat annie likes it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Rurification

• House Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:13:35 AM »
Yes, it's pokeweed.  The greens can be eaten in early spring when the plant is young [hence the name poke salad].  It's poisonous when it gets very big and the berries are definitely poisonous, so don't experiment.   We have it here and it gets 6-8 ft tall.  Very pretty, with roots to China.  It's a tough perennial.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Thanks all. the plant is surely thriving, I'll add some more pics as the berries ripen. The leaves are very long and narrower than Kingbee's pics and they are not limpy at all.

Must be something the birds pooped out and it took. Our feeders are only 20ft away.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »
Thanks all. the plant is surely thriving, I'll add some more pics as the berries ripen. The leaves are very long and narrower than Kingbee's pics and they are not limpy at all.

Must be something the birds pooped out and it took. Our feeders are only 20ft away.

The stalks are not red or ruby colored like pokeweed that size should be.  Also I never saw pokeweed that was that waxy.  If it has just come up odds are good that it is underneath a place were birds light to rest and to relieve themselves, like under a power line or next to a fence.