Mike Hughes: Stupid is as stupid does
Jun. 15, 2013 @ 08:16 PM
Former Obama adviser David Plouffe was speaking about the IRS scandal on a recent Sunday talk show. He said, “This was not an effort driven by the White House. It would be the dumbest political effort of all time.” The extent of White House involvement in the targeting of conservatives remains to be seen, but since when has being dumb ever stopped any political effort?
Let’s not confuse criminality with being dumb. Dumb is blaming the scandal on a few low-level employees in Ohio and calling it poor customer service. The scandal itself is criminal.
I thought it would be interesting to look at some of the other dumb political efforts. A comprehensive list would fill volumes, so this is just 10 from the past few years in America.
10. Using global warming as an excuse to expand government control. When the globe stopped warming, they renamed it climate change.
9. Propping up voter fraud by saying that photo ID laws disenfranchise people. Apparently it’s acceptable to bring a billy club to the voting booth, but not a photo ID.
8. Blowing almost a trillion dollars on stimulus spending, calling it the recovery summer, and then laughing it off when the failure becomes too big to hide. Keynesian spending is great — until you get stuck with the bill.
7. Signing an executive order to close Gitmo without having any idea on how to do it. It’s still open, isn’t it?
6. Publicly supporting Occupy Wall Street and the idea that living in squalor, assaulting the police and disrespecting property rights accurately represents 99 percent of America.
5. Rod Blagojevich trying to sell Barack Obama’s Senate seat. If not for the act itself, Blago’s prison time is well-deserved for the way he acted after he was caught.
4. Jesse Jackson Jr. trying to buy Obama’s Senate seat. We may never know if Jackson put in a bid for Obama’s seat, but we do know a culture of corruption when we see it.
3. Giving health insurance to 30 million more people with no new doctors, while paying existing doctors less, and hiring thousands of new IRS bureaucrats. What could go wrong?
2. Trying to blame the Benghazi terror attack on an obscure Internet video. This is Keystone Cops material without the humor. This is dumb people thinking that everyone else is a lot dumber than they are. This is what happens when liberals think they own the media.
1. Trying to dismantle Mexican drug cartels by giving them guns. As if the deadly Fast & Furious fiasco wasn’t dumb enough, while visiting Mexico recently, President Obama said, “We recognize that most of the guns used to commit violence here in Mexico come from the United States . … I will continue to do everything in my power to pass common-sense gun reforms that keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people. … We’ll keep increasing the pressure on the gun traffickers who bring illegal guns into Mexico. …” But when it comes to Obama and his contemptible attorney general, executive privilege applies. How many of the targeted high-level cartel figures have been arrested? Not one.
Mike Hughes is a Navy veteran who lives in High Point. His column appears here every other Sunday. To comment, visit www.hpe.com
and click on opinion. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Representations of fact and opinions are solely those of the author.