Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 04:50:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding Queen to a split  (Read 377 times)
Rogan
New Bee

« on: June 22, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »

Pardon me if this has already been posted before.  I plan to split two hives and will be purchasing 2 new queens for those splits which are queenless.  No, I don't plan to wait for them to raise a new queen for various reasons.  I understand the split needs to be queenless for at least 24 hours before introducing the new queens.  My problem (not sure if it really is a problem) is that my queens arrive Thursday.  I can only do the split Sunday.  Is that time to wait too long?  I realize I will need to check for queen cells and destroy them before the queen cage is introduced, but I wasn't sure if I didn't have "fresh" brood, if that would be a problem.
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

If the colony is queenless 5 days, it caps the emergency cells. Then they accept very easily a new queen.

Language barrier NOT included
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:01 AM »

No problem. But the colony does not have to be queenless for 24hrs. It is just a good practice.

Let me give you a similar example: I want to split a colony. I can not find the queen. I split it and in three days come back and do an inspection. The half with the new eggs has the queen. I take the other half and destroy any queen cells that may be started and re-queen that half. Not the same but a similar example.

John 3:16
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »

Overnight is best,  That can be significantly less than 24 hours... 2 hours will do.

You can keep queens for a week or two by just giving them a drop of water a day and keeping them in a quiet dark place.  As long as the attendants are doing fine, the queen is probably fine.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next