I started with 3/4" plywood lid with 12 holes in it that pint jars would rest in.
Placed it on a very strong but not overcrowded single deep on May 19th.
I put a small piece of cut-out comb in the bottom of each jar and heated it to make it stick when the jar was inverted.
The early spring flow for use was slowing down, but our Chinese Tallow flow was picking up. It is our major flow in these parts.
The bees started slowly, but by about June 7th, they were blowing and going.
I was getting a little concerned over the last week or so. Temps in the mid to upper 90's and some serious bearding going on from noon till way after dark. I gave them some extra ventilation and pulled the jars yesterday because I knew they had to be getting crowded.
Sure enough, they were starting to backfill the brood nest, but no swarm cells had been started. I added a second deep and stacked the brood so I will see what they do now.
I do not see why I could not do it again.
Not sure if it is financially viable yet. I am not sure what price to put on the artwork. Normally a pint goes for around $8 here and $10 with comb in it. I have never seen it sold with built in comb.
It was very neat to watch the process though.