Greetings all, I live in central Alabama and have had a hive one week this afternoon. I have made some observations and have a few questions. I'm concerned about doing too much since this is a new home to them and I don't want to run them off.
1) I have a screen bottom and some bees are always present on the outside, apx 30-50, does that confuse them?
2) I've read about putting a small one inch block under the top to raise it for ventilation. It's in the 90's but the hive only gets 2 to 4 hours of direct early morning sun.
3) I talked with a friend who has kept bees for about 6-8 yrs. He seems to think that the only pest problem we have is SHB. I'm concerned right now about the foul brood diseases, why? heck I don't know
4) I've noticed when I fooled with the hive a couple of bees were on the front entrance with their buts in the air and were fluttering their wings, is this a warning to the hive?
5) I want to examine the hive tomorrow to check for the queen and to see if any egg laying has taken place (tomorrow is 8 days). I have all the equipment and do use a smoker. It seems to me that when the hive is opened the queen is subject to take off, is this a real and common concern?
I'm sure I'll have more questions later, thanks folks. gary