Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 12:35:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correcting foundation-less frame comb  (Read 198 times)
yrots
New Bee

« on: June 08, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »

Three weeks into a trap out in my house and I opened the hive up to inspect the condition of the colony. Bees are drawing out comb on most of the frames and there is lots of capped brood so from that perspective things are going good. I am using foundation-less frames with colorplast starter strips protruding about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I am finding the bees are  not drawing from the strips but are starting  comb from the top bar either side of the strip creating 2 combs which seems to be creating a spacing problems with the adjacent frame. Should I remove one of the combs from each frame to an empty frame and rubber band each of the frames to try to get things in better alignment directly below the top bar instead of everything off to side of each frame protruding into the space of the adjacent frame?

Dirk

Dirk
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:07:24 AM »

With the "double" comb, I would cut it off and rubberband them into empty frames as in a cutout. I found that with starter strips, they build double comb more often than not. I stopped using starter strips, and just rub beeswax onto the underside of the top bar of the frame. If you look at a ferel hive, they don't have starter strips and don't usually have double combs. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next