Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 06:45:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Record high Gasoline Prices AGAIN  (Read 2645 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« on: June 08, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »

We’re paying RECORD high prices for gasoline up here in Michigan again. Sad Sad Sad  The highest price is the entire country!  What’s up with that huh 

http://www.freep.com/article/20130607/BUSINESS06/306070129/michigan-gas-prices-record-high
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »

Gotta pay those union employees. I bought it this weekend for $3.23 in this RTW state.   evil evil  lau lau

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »

All part of what Obama and his Energy Secretary wanted....
LINK TO ARTICLE!

Although, I'm sure the administration would have preferred that the Energy secretary not be quite so honest about their intentions.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »

there was also a report out that we were closer to energy independance now, than we have ever been.  i believe they speculated that by 2025, we could be there.

so...what's the problem?   Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »

I think you hit the nail on the head KathyP.   Citibank says by 2020.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100450133

However Big Oil clearly has us in a stranglehold and can demand as much profit as they want regardless of how much “drilling” Palin wants to do.  Just another example that you can’t drill your way out of high prices for the stuff.

BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »

Iddee, the paychecks the drillers get make the UAW look like a bunch of paupers!
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

the paychecks the drillers get make the UAW look like a bunch of paupers!

I'm sorry I'm sorry
No my fine blue feathered friend, the paychecks oil field workers cash doesn't make the UAW look like a bunch of paupers.  However the amount of work that oil field workers preform and the short amount of time in which rough necks preform this work, by comparison makes the UAW look like a bunch of paralytic narcoleptics.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:48:22 PM by kingbee » Logged
Better.to.Bee.than.not
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »

Michigan is right to work now, since mar 23rd. it has nothing to do with that. It is probably a scam really....a shell game of sorts. they are trying to claim that michigan refineries didn't get their supply to meet current obligations and were forced to then buy outside contract...but come on...thats pretty weak.... I think things are being done on purpose frankly to shift assets from one area to others, and keep bouncing them around to keep people confused and unable to line real things up. If they piss each area off only 1/2 year at a time, then no one is constantly screwed over to the point of constantly being p*ssed.
Better.to.Bee.than.not
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »

the paychecks the drillers get make the UAW look like a bunch of paupers!

I'm sorry I'm sorry
No my fine blue feathered friend, the paychecks oil field workers deposit doesn't make the UAW look like a bunch of paupers.  However the amount of work that oil field workers preform and the amount of time rough necks need to preform this work, does make the UAW look like a bunch of paralytic narcoleptics by comparison.

right.as a percentage basis, oil profits are fairly low....liberals seem to just want to look at the profit number itself, but the govt steals far more then anyone really in taxes, and they don't do anything to really earn it at all.
RC
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »

Regarding the paychecks of drillers, I worked on an oil rig in the gulf for a few years. We worked 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week, in whatever weather. When your shift ended, you ran thru the shower, swallowed some food and jumped in the bed that was just vacated by the guy who took your place on the rig. We worked 14 days on, 14 days off. You were trapped on that rig until the crew boat came to take you to the shore. If you relief didn't show up, guess what? You were trapped for another 14 days. This was exhausting, dangerous work. We weren't supervising a robot painting a car or drop engines in a chassis in an air conditioned factory. We didn't eat from the company cafeteria or take breaks or have days off. If you were sick, you worked sick. We didn't go home at the end of the day, we spent the night with a crew of sweaty, stinking men. We can fuss about the price of gas and oil all we want to, and I'm certainly not trying to justify it. But the people on the oil rigs earn their money.
On another note, the price of gas is set by the world market. If a particular area is not in line with the rest of the country, it is a problem associated with that area.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »

Perhaps the formulation changes mandated by the EPA in your area accounts for some of the shortages.Summer gasoline needs refined and blended differently,requiring a changeover.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

There’s always some excuse for high gas prices Cry  It usually seems more like gouging or manipulation than a real supply vs demand problem.  Michigan doesn’t have/need a special summer blend beyond the normal national summer gas formulation.  We have very few ozone alert days here.  It usually doesn’t get that hot and the climate and geography is such that the wind blows our ozone to Canada and Pennsylvania. Smiley   
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »

There’s always some excuse for high gas prices Cry  It usually seems more like gouging or manipulation than a real supply vs demand problem.  Michigan doesn’t have/need a special summer blend beyond the normal national summer gas formulation.  We have very few ozone alert days here.  It usually doesn’t get that hot and the climate and geography is such that the wind blows our ozone to Canada and Pennsylvania. Smiley   

Hmmmmm...I did not know this. Gouging and manipulations? I would like to know more. Tell me the facts which back up what you say.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 12:31:39 AM »

If you genuinely want to learn a little something about how markets and capitalism are manipulated then you might want to read this piece.   

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/28/opinion/sanders-gas-speculation

The Senator points to several facts if you're really looking for facts.
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:41:06 AM »

Well, as for gouging, a couple of days before Memorial weekend the prices here had got down to $3.12 for ethanol gas, That week end it was 3.32/3.36 per gal, and a few days after it was back 3.14.  Sorry for those of you that pay more than we do, and wish we didn't pay as much either.
When you make as much profit as the oil companies make, Congress will never agree that they are gouging tho.  That kind of money can grease a lot of palms.

Joe
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 01:14:54 AM »

We have very few ozone alert days here.  It usually doesn’t get that hot and the climate and geography is such that the wind blows our ozone to Canada and Pennsylvania. Smiley   

RC answered your question about the market.  the price is not set based on what we produce or not. the price based on the globla market and as long as countries like india and china are expanding and using oil to do it, the cost can't come down.  now...if we drilled here and kept what we drilled here, that might be different, but that won't happen because these oil companies do not confine their work to this country.

now the issue of the gas mixes and refineries  has nothing to do with what happens in your state.  there simply are not enough of them to easily meet the need of all states and their different demands.  if there were only one summer and one winter mix, that would make things so much easier and not tie up refineries doing special blends for each state OR if there were more refineries....but getting them approved is near impossible.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=10&t=10

here's how much you pay in taxes for your gallons of gas...speaking of price gouging.  the governments profit margin on fuel is far higher than the oil and gas co.  how can they justify that?  they didn't earn it.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Better.to.Bee.than.not
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:36 AM »

If you genuinely want to learn a little something about how markets and capitalism are manipulated then you might want to read this piece.   

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/28/opinion/sanders-gas-speculation

The Senator points to several facts if you're really looking for facts.

There is no 'speculation for michigan gas prices'.....thats silly..... If you want to try to blame that for average price of gas then whatever...it is still bull, but it obviously doesn't apply to michigan prices as a specific.  futures contracts are made by speculation, true but when those speculations are off, then those who speculate to high and get caught by it lose lots of money...the speculation does effect the price but it doesn't make the price. and amazing how this happens right AFTER a election, when we have years before the next election and americans memory lasts about 10 minutes.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 02:38:16 AM »

Agreed, the speculators didn’t affect Michigan specific gas prices.  Fox Creek seemed to doubt that markets are manipulated in general though and hence my link on speculation.  Speculation drives a lot of bubbles, this is basic fact for anybody who trades the markets.   
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 02:50:11 AM »

RC answered your question about the market. 
Not really.  The price of oil is not set by some mythical "world market", it is set buy US based future exchanges.  Some real end users and a LOT of Wall Street Speculators.   

OK, I do agree that Obama needs to allow more refineries.

I haven't kept up with all the summer mixes, but I thought most of the country uses a common summer mix UNLESS you're are in CA or MA, RI, CT, NY.

I also agree that government takes way too much tax at the pump.  Wasn't that all suppose to be for road repairs?
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »

Blue,
I'm sure it was an honest oversight on your part.   Wink
But you managed to skip right over my point that the Secretary of Energy, Steven Chu, appointed by BO and who served for 4 years, up until last month...Publicly stated that the country needed higher gas prices. much like Europe.
So when you go fill up your vehicle, just smile and enjoy it. Think of it as your hero Obama getting things done.  Smiley
Besides, with the doubling of your wealth, thanks to the S&P 500, paying for it should be no problem.  grin

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next