Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 12:49:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture of my queen, and a question about being honey-bound  (Read 449 times)
joker1656
House Bee

« on: June 06, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »

I was checkinig the swarm that I hived a few weeks ago, and I stumbled upon the queen.  They seem to be doing very well.

I am a little concerned about the queen becoming honey-bound.  I have attached a picture.  I just got lucky, because I was not looking for her.  I was looking for eggs, or brood.  Most frames seemed to hold nectar.  I found one frame, out of the 8 or 9 drawn in the upper box, that had eggs.  I know that the other box has some brood, but it wasn't capped yet last week.  Since so many frames are full of nectar or pollen, and so few have eggs (maybe 4 or 5 out of both boxes), should I be concerned?

Should I pull those  nectar-filled frames into another box, and replace them with empty frames?  Seems like the logical thing to do.  I haven't used foundation, but I have some if need be.  I have been letting them draw out the way they want.  They've drawn about 6-8 frames of new comb within the last week or two.  They just keep filling it with nectar.  Obviously, that is not a bad thing, but she needs room, right? 

Anyway, here is my lucky snap....

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »

nice!  you want to build up as much as you can.  make room for brood.  i don't know what size boxes you used, but you can pull some of those nectar frames and put them in another box on top.  they can have room for brood and continue to store food also.  you might not have to feed this year smiley  but...you need to have enough bees that they can tend 3 boxes.  if you don't, pull some of the nectar frames and freeze them for later.  give the queen some empty frames for laying.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JPinMO
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:43 AM »

Joker, do you have them housed in two deeps? (10-frame Lang's?)

I'm really new at this (our girls just arrived two weeks ago) and I'm trying to envision your setup so I can "follow" the answers you get here.

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either. – Albert Einstein
joker1656
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »

Yes, I do have them in two deeps.  I've been at this for a few years, but don't have the time for actually being any good yet.  So, focus on the answers people give me, and not what I say Smiley

KathyP, thanks for the advice. 

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »

It looks like nectar there with a lot of bees and dark comb.  So I assume that is the brood nest and it is being backfilled with nectar.  But without seeing it in the context of the rest of the combs it's hard to say for sure.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »

Making sure that your queen has enough room to lay is the primary concern and our most important job as beekeepers during Spring build up IMO.  We must remember that queens will not cross over honey so must go down looking for cells to lay in.  If a flow is on honey gets backfilled into broodnests pretty quick and you wind up with a congested hive, prime for swarming.

The fine art and practice of KYBO (Keeping Your Broodnests Open), particularly during Spring and Summer, is an endeavor all beeks should learn. 

Simply keeping/placing honey frames above and/or to the outside of broodnests should usually have good results.  Placing 'drawn' brood comb frames wherever the honey frames were removed will accomplish the goal of providing room for egg laying AND inhibit swarming.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
joker1656
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »

Thanks, to both M. Bush and T-beek. 

M, I think you are correct, but I cannot get pics of the whole thing right now. 

I have no other drawn frames right now.  Replacing nectar filled frames with completely empty frames, foundationless, is my only option.  Well, not my only option, because I could build a few frames with foundation, but would prefer to let them build their own.  Any thoughts on which of those two choices is best?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next