Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 08:14:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bee vac question  (Read 252 times)
rober
Field Bee

« on: June 05, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »

i did a removel yesterday. this was a swarm that had recently moved into an attic via a hole that a squirrel chewed threw the facia. they were about 18" into the attic. i used my recently built bee vac. i did provide a pressure regulating hole & adjusted it to a fairly low suction power but it still killed a lot of bees. should there be some type of padding inside the box? the vac is pretty typical of what i've seen posted on various sites.
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:01:16 PM »

I know some people subscribe to giving them something soft to land on. Personally' I think if your suction is adjusted properly, it's not necessary. Also, you have to be careful on what you use, there's the possibility the bees will get caught up in it.

Did you bring the Vac in the attic?  If it was hot, that could be the problem. Did you keep the Vac running the entire time that the bees were in the enclosure?...You don't want to ever turn the vacuum off and leave the bees in the enclosure, they will over heat quickly.
Short of that's I would have to think your suction was too high.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:22:11 PM by Moots » Logged

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
chux
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »

I've only used a homemade bee vac twice, but...

We made a bucket style vac. No padding. They came in the top lid of the bucket, which was standing upright. After I got maybe a quarter of the bucket filled in about 10 minutes or so, I transferred those bees to another bucket with a screen lid sitting in the shade. I also sprayed them with a little water to help cool them in the bucket. They did great in both instances.
WarPonyFarms
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »

When you adjust your suction, it should be just enough to pull the bees from the comb.  Always start on the light side and add suction if you need it.  

There are many different models of bee Vacuums.  Each has benefits and drawbacks.  I run the Robo style because it's less work for me.  I like the release of pressure they get when they make it down the tubes and enter the large capacity of the hive body.  With a Plexiglas top, I can see the bees enter the hive body and crawl up the walls or frames.  It has resulted in very few casualties.  I have a friend who added a slanted board with padding at the back of his, but removed the padding later because it wasn't necessary.

If you continue to have issues, have someone with experience look at your vac and provide advise.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next