Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 03:55:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cut out and foundationless frames??  (Read 256 times)
chux
House Bee

« on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:51 AM »

I did my first cut out a couple of weeks ago. Used rubberbands to hold brood comb in place to fill a deep lang. The comb was standing in the frames pretty straight. One mistake I know I made was completely filling each frame. The comb came out of a wall, and was wide enough that I could cut the same height as the frame, then put three or four pieces side by side in each frame. (In hindsight, I would have been better off only putting two pieces in each frame, and leaving plenty of room for the bees to connect.) As it is, the combs were lined up pretty good and held in place with rubber bands.

The day after I put the box in the yard, I went to look at the entrance. Bees were pulling out rubberbands. They had pulled out several bands. I peeked inside and saw that most of the frames had lost their rubberbands and the comb was not straight. I pulled a few frames out and straightened a bit, but the comb was unstable. I decided to let them attach better and not risk dropping brood comb full of bees, so I left it alone for a couple of days. When I went back in, the comb was attached pretty good, but it's not straight on all the frames. I pulled a few frames and noticed that three queen cells had hatched. (I probably didn't get the queen in the cut out) Last thing I wanted was to kill a new queen, so I closed it up and left it alone. I have added a medium with foundationless frames on top. As of yesterday, they had not started building up there yet, but it looked like they were starting to hang on the starter strip of wood a bit up there.

Here is my question: What should I do about that brood comb that is a bit wonky in the deep? Should I leave it alone until next season and try to rotate it out of the hive? Should I go in and try to clean it up now?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »

Clean it up after the second box is drawn, or next season. Leave them alone as much as feasible for the time being.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
chux
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »

That sounds good, but that leaves me with another question. How long do I need to wait to verify that there is a queen present? Since they are just getting started building out comb on top, I wonder how long it will take for the queen to start laying up there. Will they be making honey up there, or more brood? Probably both. I got a lot of bees in the cut out. And there was lots of capped brood. I assume the brood present when I did the cut out, has recently hatched. So I feel like I need to know within a couple of weeks whether I need to order a queen or not. If I wait too long to put a new queen in, these bees may not live long enough to raise her brood. Would you do a slow, careful inspection of the bottom, just long enough to see any new larvae? Would you wait a week longer and let them build out on top and check just the top?

hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

You say that three queen cells had hatched...wait at least two weeks (I prefer 3) to take a look for eggs.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
chux
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »

OK. Let me give exact date. I did the cutout on May 16. I saw 6 or 7 capped queen cells. Several had those whitish lines that I believe means they are near hatching. When I checked on May 20, give or take 1 day, I saw that three of the cells had hatched. I stopped inspection at that point, and haven't been back in there. So, 3 weeks from the time that they hatched would be on Jun 9 or 10. This weekend, I'll look in the bottom for larvae. Thanks guys.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:44:09 PM by chux » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next