Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 04:01:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woven wire fence  (Read 230 times)
Switchback
New Bee

« on: May 29, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »

I just put the package in the hive at 11am this morning. I was watching them at 2:30 and they seem to have a problem with the fence. I have lots of bears. I see them every couple days. So I put the bees in a old dog run with 2"x4" woven wire fence. The fence goes all the way around and on top also. The bees fly up to the fence and hover there for a few seconds like they don't know what to do. Is the fence confusing them and will they get used to it? They do go thru it eventually. Any help is welcome. Thanks.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »

the are probably doing orientation flights.  the start close to the hive and progressively fly farther out.  they'll do this for the first couple of days.  if you watch carefully, you can see them go farther and farther away from the hive.

they'll figure out the fence.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Switchback
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:08:12 PM »

Thanks kathyp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next