Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 11:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what to look for in my hive check tomorrow  (Read 855 times)
Carol
House Bee

« on: May 22, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »

I have one deep that was mostly brood. Didn't see any capped honey on them when checked a few wks ago. They are building in a medium that will also be brood. I want to check them tomorrow to see if I need another medium. There have been a lot of bees either washboarding or bearding the entrance...even this morning. 68*. To me it looks like a lot of bees...may not be to an experienced eye. If there is no brood in the medium I'll bring a frame up to get her started that way. If there is capped honey then I don't have to feed any more..correct?
10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »

if they were full of bees and brood 3 weeks ago and you've only given them one super i expect they are either crowded or have swarmed.  we are in what i would say is the second half of the peak flow in my area.  i hived a swarm in a deep with one frame of brood and 9 of foundation last wednesday evening and saturday it was almost completely drawn out.  i added a medium of foundation sunday and expect to give them another this afternoon.  in another week i may add a second deep of foundation depending on the flow and how much coverage the bees have (it was a big swarm).  things happen really fast when the flow is on.
you need to see if they have backfilled the brood chamber, if there are queen cells or old queen cells that have been cut down, and you need to see if there are any eggs/open brood. i'm pretty sure you'll need to super them again.  i don't know how the flow is in central florida but i would think it starts earlier and is much longer and better than central georgia/alabama.
Carol
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »

Thanks, I worry that I check them too much.  I didn't go into the brood chamber last check...just checked to see if they were building comb in the medium. OK...thorough check tomorrow...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next