Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 08:14:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First swarm  (Read 823 times)
joker1656
House Bee

« on: May 22, 2013, 07:56:24 AM »

Hello, all.  It looks like everyone is doing well.  I haven't had time to hop on here, or work with bees in awhile.  I was down to one hive last fall, and lost it this winter.  I have no clue what happened.  They had more than ample honey, and the winter was not horrible.  Hive looked clean enough, and no obvious disease.

A few days ago I was happy to get a swarm call about 4 miles from my house.  Popped them in a box, and within 24 hours they had drawn about a third of a frame, and had started filling it.  The locusts are blooming around here, so I guess that could be what they are working. 

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »

Congrats!  Is that swarm as large as it appears?  It looks like the photo was taken pretty far away.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »

applause applause applause  Indeed it does look like a rather large swarm in that Sweetgum tree.
joker1656
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »

Congrats!  Is that swarm as large as it appears?  It looks like the photo was taken pretty far away.

The main branch that it is on was probably around 3 inches in diameter on the right-hand side.  It is one of the larger swarms that I have caught. 

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next