Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First swarm  (Read 870 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
First swarm
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:24 AM »
Hello, all.  It looks like everyone is doing well.  I haven't had time to hop on here, or work with bees in awhile.  I was down to one hive last fall, and lost it this winter.  I have no clue what happened.  They had more than ample honey, and the winter was not horrible.  Hive looked clean enough, and no obvious disease.

A few days ago I was happy to get a swarm call about 4 miles from my house.  Popped them in a box, and within 24 hours they had drawn about a third of a frame, and had started filling it.  The locusts are blooming around here, so I guess that could be what they are working. 

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: First swarm
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
Congrats!  Is that swarm as large as it appears?  It looks like the photo was taken pretty far away.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
 X:X X:X X:X  Indeed it does look like a rather large swarm in that Sweetgum tree.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
Congrats!  Is that swarm as large as it appears?  It looks like the photo was taken pretty far away.

The main branch that it is on was probably around 3 inches in diameter on the right-hand side.  It is one of the larger swarms that I have caught. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman