Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 09:08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: swarms  (Read 477 times)
tincan
House Bee

« on: May 17, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »

Im in northeast wisconsin and have only seen one swarm in my life 49 years am I just missing them or do they not swarm in the north as much as the south because it seems like they get alot of swarms in the south
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »

every place is different and every year is different.  some years i get so many calls i can't keep up with them and other years, none.  how long have you had your name out there?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Highlander
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

Thats funny, Tincan, I was just wondering the same thing this afternoon as I looked around a set of old barns. Didn't see any indication that there had ever been a swarm or hive in either of them. Plenty of hornets and wasps, but no honey bees.  And, I have never heard of one in the area in the over twenty years i have lived here in NY.

Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.
tincan
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »

this is only my third year but i thought in 49 years i would have seen or heard of some
Highlander
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

I am in my first year as a beekeeper, and thought it would be nice to find a hive in an old barn or house and try to catch it. So I started looking around in some of these places and can find no evidence of any ever having bee, I know we have feral honey bees around her, just haven't located any sites yet.

Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.
TNTBEES
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »

I'm a second year beek from Montana and I had never heard of one until last year, there were three on craigslist. I was able to get one of them. I think in our area there are some but they are rare to find. I don't know of any feral colonies but there must be some somewhere. I've never heard about a cutout in our area either. Not many bees and a lot of area.
duck
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »

some people go a lifetime without shooting a banded duck or goose.. some shoot a banded bird every year..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next