Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 08:16:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: disaster in OK today  (Read 1706 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: May 20, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »

looks like lots of devastation and lots of deaths including some kids in a school.  maybe we can take a moment and send some prayers/thoughts that way.  it's going to be a rough haul for those people.

also, for those of us who can afford it, it's a good time to send a little bit to your favorite charity. donations have been down some the last couple of years and some of the disasters like the fires, and Sandy, took a hunk out of budgets.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:56:35 PM by kathyp » Logged

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »

Good reminder.  

What heart breaking news  Sad  Really unbelievable the destruction and loss of more kids.  Very sad. Sad Sad Sad
RC
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

I normally consider myself a pretty tuff guy, but this is enough to drive me to my knees. I can't imagine the heartbreak these people are going through. Prayers sent.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:19 PM »

Tornadoes are one of life's unpreventable tragedies.  My thoughts and payers go out to these people.
Nico
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »

My deepest sympathy to all.
Nico
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »

https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php

i'll post this here and you all can share it if you want.  this is a program that red cross has so that people in a disaster can let folks know they are ok, and family can find each other. 
you can preregister and then you only need a couple of minutes of computer or data time to activate and put whatever info you want. you don't have to put location info and stuff if you don't want to. you can just put your name and that you are ok.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:10:17 PM »

The nice thing about living in Oklahoma City, especially when disasters strike, which they do with some frequency, is that we don't wait around for the government to take care of us.

My in box was filled with emails this morning from my office, church, local realtor association (I am a realtor), a local website company I subscribe to, etc. all talking about ways to help our neighbors who are in need.  I just saw where Kevin Durant who plays for our Thunder basketball team donated $1,000,000 to the Red Cross relief effort.  The Thunder basketball organization donated another $1,000,000.

We just canceled the Central Oklahoma Beekeepers monthly meeting on Thursday.   Don't know (yet) of any of our members who were directly hit by the storm, but have heard of a few who are without power, had debris fall into their yard from the storm, etc. Fortunately I live on the north side of town and the storm went across the southern part of OKC/Moore.

We appreciate your prayers.     Linda D.

linda d
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »

Thanks so much for that update Linda.  Glad you are ok.  I'd imagine the folks there are like a lot I have met in the mid-west.  They pretty much look after their own.  it's a good thing.  I never mind setting up a shelter or kitchen and finding it's not needed!!

Alexis de Tocqueville
divemaster1963
Field Bee

God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:08 PM »

My grandchildren live in Moore. It took all night till we heard they were OK and not at those schools. My granddaughter lost couple of Friends from the school and was still in shock about it all. they live on the other side of town. I am praying for them all. and the teachers and staff are the godsends and heroes of our children.

John
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »

I have a lot of relatives in OKC.  Looks like they are fine.  I used to live in OKC and Guthrie.  A lot of friends.  I wouldn't know how to find out about all of them...

I'm sure the local churches will be days ahead of FEMA...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »

locals are always way ahead of the machine.  same is true with all the disaster services.  to be fair to FEMA, i hear they are already there because of the tornadoes from the weekend before.

Alexis de Tocqueville
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 01:47:13 PM »

It is my first hand experience dating from the April 3Rd 1974 super outbreak that even the Amish in their horse and buggies are far ahead of FEMA.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »

but what was FEMAs job before Katrina?  it was not to be there holding your hand or being a first responder.  that changed when bush capitulated to the screams of racism, but prior to 2005, there was no expectation that FEMA show up the day of a disaster. 

in my opinion, FEMA should not exist, or if it is kept, it should go back to being a department of logistics for national disasters.

why does the federal government shovel billions of dollars into states with disasters?  the feds might be responsible for fixing federal holding and interstate highways.  the state should be responsible for fixing state holdings and roads.  homeowners should have insurance.  charities should fill the gaps.

when did we develop the expectation that taxpayers around the country should be on the hook when something bad happens in our states?

Alexis de Tocqueville
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

I used to work for the Red Cross in the late 1970s and did some disaster relief.  Back then relief went like this: immediate search and rescue, feeding and sheltering done by locals, i.e. local Red Cross and Salvation Army chapters, churches, city gov't, local residents and local/state national guard units.  It would usually take a day or two to move in more Red Cross and Salvation Army staff from around the country, if needed for big disasters, plus some of the nationally organized church relief groups from around the country would come in, several of which are skilled at clean up and repair. Getting professional/skilled relief workers in to a disaster site from around the country takes time and people think they should telaport in immediately. Doesn't happen.  FEMA was usually an after thought. Lucky to see them a week after the storm and they mainly dealt with long term housing, home/business repair loans and that kind of stuff.

This kinda changed with Katrina where people seemed to think FEMA was supposed to be on the scene from day one and organizing everything.  Now the federal government seems to be looked to in big disasters to run everything and that is a disaster in and of itself waiting to happen: too slow, too much red tape, too inflexible, etc. 

linda d
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »

This kinda changed with Katrina where people seemed to think FEMA was supposed to be on the scene from day one and organizing everything.  Now the federal government seems to be looked to in big disasters to run everything and that is a disaster in and of itself waiting to happen: too slow, too much red tape, too inflexible, etc.

that's true.  pre-katrina everyone came in and did their thing.  we all kind of worked together, but we all have our strong and weak points.  the local RC, SA, and churches were the 1st to take care of people and we came in to relieve them.  it worked well and we all got it done.

last year i was in LA and was going to req some ice.  one of the managers told me to wait because she thought FEMA was taking ice out and we didn't want to step on their toes?  WHAT??  how can passing out ice be offensive.  how can you have to much ice in LA in the summer??  why is FEMA passing out ice anyway? 
best thing the feds could do is make FEMA the small facilitating agency it used to be, and get the heck out of the way!  capitulating to the crap that came out of Katrina was one of the worst mistakes of the Bush admin...and one that will haunt us through every disaster ever after.

Alexis de Tocqueville
carlfaba10t
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »

I have an aunt that lived in Moore Okla.She just moved into a assisted living apartment complex not long before the tornado struck the other day.Her home was completely destroyed but she is Ok. Storm missed the place she is staying by about a half mile.I guess you could say darn good timing.After all the years i lived in Okla. I still do not miss all the long hours i spent in a storm cellar when i was a youngster. Sad     

Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next