Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 11:09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working without a Net  (Read 1156 times)
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« on: May 14, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »

I lost my smoker after setting it down on an old grill I was tossing out and the person who was taking the grill to the dump for me showed up and took the smoker as well.
 It's going to be a few days before I can get a new one and today will be the last sunny day for a while. I was planning on going through the hives, adding a medium and switching out the stand.
 Needless to say, I won't be going through the hives but will go ahead with switching the stand and adding the mediums.
 I'm planning on plugging up the entrances with grass when I move them to replace the stand. As far as adding the mediums, I think I'll have to work fast. I think I'll bring some sugar water to spray them with, if not to calm them down, but at least keep them from flying.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

If you take an old can, poke a few holes in the bottom for air, and a hole on each side of the top for a bailing wire bail (handle) you can put some dry grass in it and make a sort of smoker.  Sometimes some smoke in the air is sufficient.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
JWChesnut
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »

smudge pot (large can) with a couple of vent holes around rim at base , and a feather wisk to distribute the smoke- - this  works fine.
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »

Sounds like a plan with the can. I just finished loading everything up on my cart and was ready to head down. Decided to see if anyone posted a better idea than sugar water. Thanks

I'll be video recording it. Maybe I'll be posting pics of me running away from my hives  Wink
Old Blue
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »

Make sure you're bee tight and watch the ankles  evil
The couple of times I've moved hives they never have liked it.  The bigger the hive the less they like it.  Keep your benedryl handy just in case.

Old Blue
On the mend and still learning a painful lesson here and there.  In .........
Kali-bone-ya
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:27:46 AM »

There was too many bees at the entrance to attempt blocking it. I made a soda can smoker but they came pillowing out as soon as I set the hives on the ground. None banged on my netting and I didn't see any land on me. I was at the rear of the hives and they pretty much stayed to the front of it. I swapped out the old stand and checked the level of the new one. Perfectly leveled side to side and leaning a bit towards to rear of the hive.
 I removed the covers and only a couple bees flew out of the first hive. When I added the medium, they landed on the frames and I covered them. There was burr comb on the inner cover, I decided to leave it in case there was drone eggs in it to entice the bees up.
 The second hive didn't do much of anything. I removed the covers and had 1,000 bees staring at me from between the frames. I added the medium and closed them up. I didn't pull any frames, but from what I could tell, they didn't touch the last frame I added yet.
 I wanted to replace a broken frame frame but felt they should keep it for now. I'll check back with them whenever I get a new smoker.

Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:24:04 AM »

Needless to say, I won't be going through the hives but will go ahead with switching the stand and adding the mediums.
 I'm planning on plugging up the entrances with grass when I move them to replace the stand. As far as adding the mediums, I think I'll have to work fast. I think I'll bring some sugar water to spray them with, if not to calm them down, but at least keep them from flying.

Mad idea! Even not idea.

Language barrier NOT included
ThomasGR
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:20:33 AM »

I tried once with sugar water. Maybe i did it the wrong way, but irritated them so much. Its not an alternative to smoke. When you have no other choice, you have to make your own tools. I've seen on tv show( how to survive or something like that ) a man who made a smoker with big leaves from trees outside ( fresh ) and inside put dry burning grass. It worked perfectly under those circumstances.

edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:22:12 AM »

You could also just move the hives forward and Place them on the ground in front of the old stand.

Build your new stand and lift the hives back up on it.

The bees find there way if you only move the hive forward or backwards, if you move them sideways then you start to have problems.

you could also suit up or have gentel bees, I run 60 hives and maybee light my smoker once or twice a year, in the fall.

mvh Edward  tongue
Old Blue
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:13 AM »

Sounds like it went smooth and according to plan.  Ya gotta love it when things go according to plan.  Thats how my bees usually are, they may get up in the air but thats it.  If it goes past that you need to be bee tight.  I will never move another hive without being bee tight top to bottom.  It's just not worth the risk to me.  Glad you got your stand issues worked out.

Old Blue
Over taxed and under represented in........
Kali-bone-ya
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »

I finally pulled the broken frame and replaced it with a new empty. There was still a dozen or so capped brood and everything else filled with nectar and pollen. (I put the frame on the end as soon as I got the bees).
 I set the frame outside the hive for the bees to clean out and left it for about an hour. When I came back, the brood was emerging. I leaned the frame so that the new bees could climb up and enter the hive. A minute or so after I did that, a couple bees where by the entrance with their rears in the air. I left the frame like that overnight.
 The next morning I checked and there was a dozen or so bees on the underside of the frame. Almost all the brood was gone. I picked up the frame and brushed the bees off next to the entrance.
 I then cut the comb out of the frame. It had one horizontal wire and 6 vertical wires in it. I then cut the comb in two and rubberband them into a couple medium frames. Those frame went into the top boxes to try to lure the bees into building into the new box.
 It's been a couple days now. I get my new smoker Wednesday, so I'll stick my nose in then to see how they're doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next