Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 23, 2014, 02:16:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WELL... It's time for a handgun - I need your input.  (Read 15062 times)
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »

... And lastly....please allow me to get one small pet peeve off my chest ...I wish everyone would stop calling them clips....99% or more of what people refer to as a clip, isn't a clip, it's a MAGAZINE! There is a distinct difference!

Moots, I agree with you, but I hope that you didn't have me in mind when I called the M1917's half moon clips CLIPS instead of magazines.  A clip is a devise that makes it easier to insert fresh ammo into a magazine.  

laugh laugh laugh No kingbee....didn't have you in mind.  I had you in the column of 1%'s that know the difference.   Wink

And in addition to your definition, clips can also be used to insert ammo directly into the weapon, an M1 Garand probably being the best known example.  Smiley

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
Tim Bates
New Bee

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »

Is this bayoushooter or beemaster so confused dern tapatalk
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

Fox Creek, i don't prefer revolvers over semi-auto.  i think revolvers are more fun...i don't recommend the 9mm because it doesn't have the stopping power of others + i was ticked off when the military went from the .45 to the 9mm and i hold it against the weapon  evil

i only mentioned that if you were going to go with a revolver the speed loaders are worth buying.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »

Fox Creek, i don't prefer revolvers over semi-auto.  i think revolvers are more fun...i don't recommend the 9mm because it doesn't have the stopping power of others + i was ticked off when the military went from the .45 to the 9mm and i hold it against the weapon  evil

i only mentioned that if you were going to go with a revolver the speed loaders are worth buying.

lau
Kathy,
I absolutely love that comment.  Mostly because I could see myself having the same outlook and reacting the same way in a similar situation.  laugh

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »

I agree with moots. Good statement. I have the 1911 and the 92fs. Carrying the 45 was not an option for me. We know which has the stopping power. The 9mm is far easier to control and will get some ones attention. I also appreciate the 92fs can be rendered useless easily with one hand, if the encounter becomes a struggle over the pistol.

I read somewhere the Marines were once again purchasing the Colt 45.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »

I read somewhere the Marines were once again purchasing the Colt 45.

Somewhere up there in firearm heaven John Browning is smiling.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:08:44 PM by kingbee » Logged
Tim Bates
New Bee

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

... And lastly....please allow me to get one small pet peeve off my chest ...I wish everyone would stop calling them clips....99% or more of what people refer to as a clip, isn't a clip, it's a MAGAZINE! There is a distinct difference!

Moots, I agree with you, but I hope that you didn't have me in mind when I called the M1917's half moon clips CLIPS instead of magazines.  A clip is a devise that makes it easier to insert fresh ammo into a magazine.  

laugh laugh laugh No kingbee....didn't have you in mind.  I had you in the column of 1%'s that know the difference.   Wink

And in addition to your definition, clips can also be used to insert ammo directly into the weapon, an M1 Garand probably being the best known example.  Smiley

How bout the gun turned sideways, with the gangsta sights
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »

My favorite is the .380

Plenty big for home defense and still packs a punch. I haven't seen any mentions here yet for this specific caliber but that's my pick.
If you can find a gun range you should go and try several calibers to determine YOUR best match. You honestly won't know until until you shoot it.

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 11:30:33 PM »

Read first page of posts!  huh
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »

Okay.... It has been an experience, learning what is said here, reading handgun forums, countless Youtube videos and finally visited a gunshot now that I have handgun speak and handling methods down pretty good. Never said I was smart, but I'm a good learner Smiley

I seriously took your advice (many/most of you) in considering a revolver as a first gun. I like the KISS method, first to acclimating both me and my wife with having a weapon in the house. But more so, have something that she would have less reluctance to train and use if/when needed - point and shot is about as as simple as it gets.

I joined a well experienced friend to a fairly local gunshop and was introduced to many semi-autos, most of which I find are better designed for right-handed shooters than left-handed as I am, but things as safeties, slide locks, magazine ejectors, etc., require me to switch hands to do, again on most handguns.

Interestingly (and this is a question) I was drawn to the carry sized handguns more that the "Make My Day" stuff - and of course the vast stuff in the middle. I really liked the compact size of the Ruger .380 LCP -  https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/lcp.pdf for a few reasons: I have smaller hands and it fit well (no I have not shot it) but It was comfortable to hold and after researching later, it did have a few drawbacks that are worth mentioning. FIRST THOUGH, do any of you own this?

The Ruger.380 LCP doesn't lock the slide open when spending all the rounds, nor does it have a safety lock. Also, most people comparing it to other carry size pistols say it has a harder trigger pull at first, but a bit sloppy (maybe free is better) right before the
trigger clicks. Lastly, it is double action only as most of these compacts are. Just some stuff to think about and way to early to think about buying anything.

But I thought you all would get a kick at the documentation which is required in NJ to get a Purchaser Identification and permit handgun purchase permit. I understand my town of Manchester is LESS paper-heavy than many towns nearer the big cities.

It is the following forms and then $57.50 to the Fingerprint service, which is actually the most expensive part - local police get a $5 application handling fee plus $2 for each handgun Permit. You are allowed 3 handguns (I am applying for 2). And you need to wait 31 days between each hand gun purchase.

Approximate wait time, 3 months currently for purchase permits.

Here are the forms - and just curious, does your states require anything like this???

Consent for mental health records
http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

FIREARM APPLICANT BACKGROUND CHECK
RESIDENCE FORM
http://manchesterpolicenj.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/residenceform.pdf

AUTHORIZATION FOR THE RELEASE OF INFORMATION
http://manchesterpolicenj.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/releaseofinformationauthorization.pdf

STATE OF NJ Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit
http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

then after all these are submitted, you get a paper allowing you to go and get finger printed. How's that stack up to your state.

And REMEMBER there is NO SUCH THING AS  CONCEAL OR OPEN CARRY unless you have jobs that directly protect life or "extraordinary" valuables and NJ does not recognize ANY OTHER STATES rules of carrying weapons into this state - no matter how packaged for safety.

Last interesting fact. In NJ you can only transport handguns, sealed away from occupants, ammo at the furthest point from weapons, and MOST IMPORTANTLY you can only drive directly to and from gun-ranges or place of purchase, the most direct route, not stopping for gas, to pick up someone else to go to the range with you, and God forbid stop for lunch. If stopped, the fine can easily be a felony charge of improper transport of a deadly weapon, no lie.

Enjoy my trip into the world of gun ownership, this surely ain't the way is was meant to be. I figure more than anything, the shear paper-trail and traveling for fingerprinting (who only takes money orders) is a deterrent to many, surely a 3 to 6 month or more waiting period can be frustrating as well.

Almost forgot, I would be getting the revolver in .380 also, so wondering - is that one of the tougher ammo finds today, I know it is a great problem.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:36:32 PM by beemaster » Logged

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »

The only part I don't understand is, why anyone still lives in NJ. In NC, you take about an hour class, approx. a hundred bucks, wait a day or two for the background check, then get your multi-year conceal permit. I think 90.00.
Then you go and buy your handgun and ammo. Two if you want.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »

oregon is pretty easy for as leftist as the cities are.  you show ID, get finger printed, and get the background check.    oregon is an open carry state, and for concealed carry you need a permit which means taking a class and getting fingerprinted, paying, and getting a background check.

that would have bothered me except that i know i have an FBI file and now i'm pretty sure i have a homeland file also.  evil

no limit on the number of weapons you may own or purchase at one time.  no wait other than if you have to wait on the background check and i have never had to.

Multnomah county just changed some of it's laws for the county, but outside portland it's still very rural and i think those laws will be challenged.  they are nuts.
this is what they did:

Prohibit possession of a loaded firearm in a public place.
    Prohibit the discharge of a firearm within the county's boundaries.
    Prohibit endangering a child by allowing access to a firearm.
    Require that the theft or loss of a firearm be reported within 48 hours.
    Extend the curfew hours for minors on parole and probation for a charge related to a gun.

the first 3 won't fly, i don't think.  farm kids shoot, we have concealed carry laws here so the county is going against the state laws, and no shooting in the county?  what about the farms and the hunters?  i have friends the duck hunt every year in that county.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Better.to.Bee.than.not
House Bee

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »

I myself like my 1911's, but almost interchangeably for home defense I would say go with a sig  P226 or P229 .40 cal. if you go to a gun shop, try them.

oh and as a side note, congratulations on deciding to be a legal gun owner. may you never need it, but if you do, may you be more prepared then the other guy.
bud1
Field Bee

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:19 PM »

all this is good but the wondering if you gona stand there and wait and see if he gona run or wait fo the police.  if you pull a gun, shoot if you shoot kill  if this is not for you get you a baseball bat and leave the gun alone as while you are debating he is gona take yo gun and shoot you

to bee or not to bee
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »

Bud's a smart man. Many have died from hesitating to pull the trigger.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
divemaster1963
Field Bee

God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »

Boy I like the south. to buy a gun . fill out a one page questionare. wait 10 mins then pay for the gun. for conceal care go to court house. file out 2 page form pay fee. then go to Sheff's office for finger prints then back to the court house. and then they mail it to you in about 30 days. now  you can conceal care your gun.

John
Oblio13
House Bee

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »

I practically beg people to get professional instruction. Not from your uncle "who was in the army" or your friend "who knows all about guns". Start with a weekend course at the Sig Academy or something equivalent. It will be a revelation, you'll have a solid foundation upon which to build, and you'll have a much better idea of what would suit your needs. Most gun owners occasionally visit a square range and pop off a few rounds at a stationary bullseye. What they should be practicing is how to draw from concealment, manage stress, move through doorways, shoot in the dark, hit targets when both you and they are moving, and how to retain control of your weapon and shoot while you are grappling with an assailant.

The pistol I almost always have on me is a Kahr P9 in an Mitch Rosen strong-side holster. It's so light I don't feel it, and so flat that no one sees it. 

If you ever find yourself in central New Hampshire, look me up and you can test-drive a variety of good defensive handguns.

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »

I can't speak for my wife, but in all honesty, but I feel that anyone unwanted in my home moving at me hostilely will be engaged until the threat is gone. At the end off a conflict in my own home, I have no problem being the one filling out the police report or being cuffed if warranted - either way, my thought is to protect my wife and my self.

That said, someone turns and runs out a door, I have no intention of stopping him, but if any threat to our person is involved, I know I have no hesitation to defend ourselves. At least NJ does recognize threat level vs. response ability: someone in this extremely highly populated (110 thousand) senior citizens populated county eg: a lone widow against a tweaked meth head - I don't care if he is not armed, granny ain't going to jail if she puts him down. At least there is some logic left in this state.

I, as all have you who have "lived life" learned long ago, life is fragile and precious. Ten years ago Bud, that baseball bat might have been the ticket, now as we both have had our share (and then some) of health issues - I see neither Tracey nor I wielding a bat enough to not have it taken away from us and being beaten to death with it. That is a scary thought, which came very much to the forefront during Hurricane Sandy: more than a week without power, my wife home alone, a house we know sells drugs just down the street, and me working 4-12 shifts scared her a good deal. I think "that" primarily changed her mind on us getting protection - something that she isn't jumping through hoops about, but agrees it is time and more importantly agrees that we will have professional handgun schooling as should be done.

OFF TOPIC

We are basically loners, by choice we enjoy our alone time and treasure it (BY THE WAY) today is Tracey's Birthday and we had a wonderful dinner out and I surprised her with show tickets to the Borgota Casino in Atlantic City, two consecutive nights, a Friday to see Lewis Black and the next night see Jim Gafaghan both very funny stand-up comedians and of course a nights stay at their 2000 room hotel. I'm looking forward to putting my Texas Holdem' natural talent (I play online - free games but competitive) so can't wait for the $2-$4 tables Smiley

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »

happy birthday to Tracy!

don't know how this fits your lifestyle, but the best early warning system is a good dog.  my husband is gone a lot and i sleep soundly.  a little bruised from the weapons in the bed, but...soundly  grin

nothing gets near my house without the dogs going off.  when they bark, i come up with a gun in my hand.

Alexis de Tocqueville
bud1
Field Bee

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »

happy birthday miss tracy

to bee or not to bee
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next