Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 07:21:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pesticide Kill?  (Read 420 times)
2Sox
House Bee

« on: May 09, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »

Weird thing happened. I caught a swarm that was on the lawn of a private house right next to a golf course - literally.  Walked right into my box with a couple of honey frames from one of my colonies that died over the winter. Brought them to my back yard (no other hives, temporary placement). The next day numbers of them were lying on the ground, writhing on their backs.  And the numbers of these increased over the hours.  

I never experienced something like this.  I'm thinking they go into some pesticide on that lawn or somewhere on the golf course - or maybe around here. I doubt it because it's mostly been raining - hard.   Could it be something in my honey?  Viruses do not kill that fast, do they?  I just can't figure it. I looked inside and bees are starting to make comb and carrying on normally.

I took a video but it's too big a file to attach. Ideas?

"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »

Sounds like someone in the golf community sprayed them and it took that long to show. I've had that happen several times.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
10framer
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »

Sounds like someone in the golf community sprayed them and it took that long to show. I've had that happen several times.

Scott

+1
2Sox
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »

Bummer. First swarm of the season.  And all my hives died over the winter.

"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »

They got sprayed.   
2Sox
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »

They got sprayed.  

I figured.  But where? That's the question.  They were just fine waltzing into my box.  The next day, they were just dropping.

SerenityApiaries
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »

http://wh.gov/JROx
I had the same thing happen, only I was called for a swarm only to find on showing up that they had been sprayed and they wanted the beekeeper to kill the rest. Another swarm I was called on I found some kids had thrown rocks at the cluster killing a bunch of bees including the queen. sad

Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westcoastbeekeepers
melliferal
House Bee

@Checkmite

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »

I had the same thing happen, only I was called for a swarm only to find on showing up that they had been sprayed and they wanted the beekeeper to kill the rest.

I would personally feel a bit insulted by such a request; but I realize they would likely not have intended it.

Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.
capt44
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »

I have a friend a couple of miles from here lost all his bees over the winter.
So I gave him 4 swarms to get him going again.
He told me 2 days ago that his neighbor sprayed his pasture and killed every bee he had.

Richard Vardaman (capt44)
2Sox
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40:10 AM »

This is a long shot, but I've got to ask it. 
The frames of honey I fed these bees came from my equipment shed.  I temporarily stored a sealed container of 2 quarts of old motor oil there.  When I opened the shed one day I noticed the strong odor of the oil, removed it and opened the windows. In a day the odor was gone.  Could this odor have tainted that honey in some way and affected these bees??

sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »

I rather doubt it.
Jim
2Sox
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »

I rather doubt it.
Jim

My wife said the same thing.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next