Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 03, 2014, 12:34:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New nucs, a few info  (Read 197 times)
ThomasGR
House Bee

« on: May 09, 2013, 09:36:09 AM »

Hello,
April 28, i created from 1 hive 4 nucs with caped or nearly capped swarm cells ( a half kg of sugar food added ). I plan to check for brood around 20-22 of May. From the day created i never opened those hives.
1. Do you open a few days later to see the status of the queen cells ?
2. What can really go wrong if you open the hives ( just the cover ) ? Do you feed these days until first check?
3. I noticed today that all of them have a few pollen foragers ( really few - nucs are 2-3 frames the best ) . Is pollen foraging a secure indication that queen is ready ?
Thanks

Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »

Bees will gather with or without a queen.
 If you check now and the new queens have emerged, you may not find them. They could be on their mating flights.
There should be enough flowers out that you don't need to feed.
 Good luck with them.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »

I would wait until the new queens have a chance to mate before you inspect. I usually wait at least three to four weeks.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next