Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 08:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capped honey frame...  (Read 225 times)
dfizer
House Bee

« on: May 09, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »

I have some frames of capped honey that I was keeping to feed back in the spring.  The spring is nearly over here and the bees are in the clear so I am going to feed the honey back to the bees. 

My question is... if I put these frames out for the bees will they uncap it and clean it out or do I need to remove the caps.  Ideally I'd like these frames cleaned out asap.

Advice please.

David
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »

Depends on if there's a flow on.  If there is they'll ignore it even if it's been uncapped.  Why do you need it cleaned out?  You could just as easily drop it into the 1-2 or 9-10 positions in the hive (assuming you use 10 frames boxes) and they'll do with it as they see fit.  Or you can put them in a deep (assuming you've got 10 deep frames) and put them on top of a strong hive that will treat it as its own.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
dfizer
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »

I do run 10 frame deep and that is a pretty good thought.  Maybe I'll use it for the outside frames of new hives for my nucs that are getting close to going into the deep. 

As far as putting frames out to be cleaned... do you uncap them or leave them capped?  I will be putting some medium frames out later in the year - they are in the freezer now and were being saved for emergency feed. 

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »

What D coates is trying to tell you is, It is a bad idea to open feed. It is much better to place the frames in a hive or hives. Why make them move it from one frame to another, which may start robbing, and will also feed every hive within 2 miles.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »

Wait that hive  becomes bigger and it can move honey to super and mix it wit new honey.

When hive has 3 boxes, put two frames between brood frames (uncapped).
Bees will clean the frame for brood. After a week do the same.

If you swarm or false swarm, put 3 frames among foundations.
When queen start to lay, they clean first honey combs and they use honey in foundation drawing.

If you feed honey back too early, it fills valuable brood space.

Language barrier NOT included
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »

I do run 10 frame deep and that is a pretty good thought.  Maybe I'll use it for the outside frames of new hives for my nucs that are getting close to going into the deep. 

As far as putting frames out to be cleaned... do you uncap them or leave them capped?  I will be putting some medium frames out later in the year - they are in the freezer now and were being saved for emergency feed. 

Perfect, those nucs need all the food and drawn comb they can get to build up quickly.  You don't want to surround them with all capped honey because they've got nowhere to expand to but on the outer edges they'll consume the honey to draw comb on undrawn frames and raise brood.  I wouldn't mess with uncapping, let them open the cells when they need it.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next