Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 08:06:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bee reaction to new queen  (Read 1873 times)
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« on: May 04, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »

I have never been able to find a queen in one of my hives with new package.  Has been three weeks.  Comb is being pulled.  Noticed 3 emergency queen cells being pulled from center of frame yesterday.  Seems to be good time to introduce new queen.
What reaction(s) should I be looking for when I put a new queen into the hive?  The good, the bad and the ugly?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »

They may be supersedure cells and there may still be a queen in the hive.  Why not let them sort it out?  That way you don't condemn a queen to death if they do still have a queen, and they will simply follow their instinct to their natural conclusion while you don't have to spend money on a queen who probably isn't adapted to your climate anyway.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »

Couldn't you take a frame with eggs from one of your other hives to put in? That way if they are queenless, they can make their own queen. But if there is a queen, no harm done.
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »

Both  great suggestions  thank you.  One of the things that has confused me is having cells pulled from middle of the frame rather than built on bottom or side.  I have  two new hives and one struggling top bar.  So adding frame did not  cdosss my mind.   
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:18:44 PM »

and the other thing is, what else did you see?  eggs, larvae, anything?  you buy a queen and put her in with the old one and you have probably just wasted your money. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »

I did not see eggs, or capped brood.  There must have been some there, they were pulling queen cells from somewhere, right. . . But? 
The concerns I had were/are fueled by my inexperience and impatience.  I had been reading posts about laying workers/lost hives.  Our spring has been cold.  And I have a streak of control freak in me which does not mesh well with "natural" bee keeping, which is my goal. 
I did buy a queen from a man hauling packages to Denver.  A chance meeting.  (He was from Apisis Hive, a well respected company in the region). 
Anyway, I put the queen in (before I got the comments I might add).  She seems to be doing well.  I took queen cells off.  She seems to but doing well. 
I hope I gain more trust in the bees as this adventure moves forward.  Do less, learn more.
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »

Sorry for rambling.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »

it's all good if it works!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
don2
Doak
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »

The ones in the middle of the frame are supersede cells. Bottom of the frame, swarm cells. Smiley d2

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »

> One of the things that has confused me is having cells pulled from middle of the frame rather than built on bottom or side.

Location is irrelevant.  A lot of cells in a crowded hive are swarm cells.  A few cells in a sparsely populated hive are supersedure or emergency cells.  If there is a queen in the hive, they are supersedure cells.  If there is not, they are emergency cells.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next