Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New queen introduction?  (Read 262 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
New queen introduction?
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
When splitting a strong colony into a nuc how long should they be left queen-less before adding the new queen.  With the goal being acceptance I am looking for the optimal time so that they are completely willing to accept her therefore I am planning to leave the nuc's queen-less for some period of time.  I just don't know what amount of time is best.  The conundrum is that I don't want to leave the nuc queen-less too long and have them produce queen cells on their own. 

Thoughts?

David

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
Re: New queen introduction?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »
Twenty four hours is plenty. And leave queen in her cage for about four days. The bees will usually release her before then.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
My goal is to leave them queenless overnight.  That could be 12 hours or 24 hours, but overnight usually seems to do the trick...
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
Thank you guys (and girls) for this info.... it's exactly what I was looking for.

David

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
What happens to a hive when you split and don't wait the 12-24 hours?  I had a nuc prepared for the queen and when I got there to install her all the bees had perrished.  In my haste I cleaned out the nuc shook a few frames of bees in and put the queen cage in.  I am now concerned that since I did this all at the same time I may have fouled something up a bit.

Please advise.

David