Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 08:57:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wirelessly Routing :) comes to Beemaster's house  (Read 1055 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: December 16, 2005, 08:12:57 PM »

Hi Everyone:

Just been pulling my hair out for 1.5 hours over a new wireless router install which supposed to be a no brainer to install, which turned out to be true BUT a BEEMASTER QUICK TIP (patent pending - lol) PULL the power cord to the modem for at LEAST 30 full seconds then replug it in THEN plug in the router: if I had known this QUICK TIP 2 hours ago, I'd have saved a lot of hair pulling.

I knew I was close I had in the NETWORKING SECTION both the router and modem showing enabled, so I figured it was down to an IP issue or something simple. I knew choosing DHCP was the RIGHT choice for Comcast (at least here) and nowhere in the install instructions of the router did it say to PHYSICALLY pull the power cable (JUST) to turn it off at the switch - ugh.

So, if Santa brings wireless networking to your home this Christmas, pull the power cord out of your cable modem, let it UNATTACH itself from the computer it is dedicated to, and then plug it in again. Hopefully, that is ALL you will need to do to get your system up and running!!!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 11:37:26 AM »

smiley

To anyone using routers in addition to dsl or cable modems. Anytime you seem to be having a network issue, alot can be resolved by doing the following:

unplug router and modem
Wait 30 seconds to a minute
Plug in modem
Then plug in router.

It's an insider secret, don't feel bad John
wmarkjones
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 11:21:29 AM »

Quote from: beemaster
Hi Everyone:

Just been pulling my hair out for 1.5 hours over a new wireless router install which supposed to be a no brainer to install ...

Hey John,

I had a similar experience, but the solution turned out to be MUCH more complex.  I have another building on the property about 400ft from my office, to which I needed connectivity.  I didn't want to spend the time and money to dig a trench and install the conduit, cabling, and repeaters needed to bring 100Mbit Ethernet to that building.

I selected a Buffalo 802.11g router with a unidirectional antenna at both sites, and I have basically line-of-site transmission.  I selected 802.11g because of the higher transmission speed and range, and the Buffalo stuff seemed the best from my spending the last 2 years revisiting this issue.  The throughput is great, but the setup would have been impossible without spending about 2 hours on the phone with a Buffalo tech rep.  My routers were new models, and their setup documentation "sucked" at best.

Mark

Mark Jones, beecare.com
markjones@beecare.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next