Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 06:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: swarm/cutout...what to do??  (Read 305 times)
brit.thebee
House Bee

« on: May 01, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

On Monday we got a call that there was a swarm in a tree and, about 50 feet away, a pretty established hive living in a roof/wall.  The homeowners wanted us to take the swarm out of the tree and to try and get the bees out of the wall without cutting the wall.  They said the bees have been there about 3 years.  It is very active!  We got the small swarm out of the tree and took it to our bee yard and it is still there, working away.  We started to vac the bees out of the roof but there were too many and we couldn't get into the walls far enough.  So our plan now is to seal it up and make a bee escape and try to get them to go into a hive box.
The homeowners just called and said there is another, larger swarm in the exact spot in the tree where we removed a swarm Monday.  The bees in the roof are still working and bringing in pollen and so are the bees in our beeyard.  Could these be splits from the large hive in the roof?
What would you do?  We need a plan.
Thanks!
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »

There have been many posts on "trap outs".  I would read up on them.  I think there are probably some u-tube videos as well.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »

I have several trap out videos posted on my youtube channel youtube.com/MrBeedude and you can read all about how to do them with iddee's help.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html

As for the swarms, a strong colony may cast a primary swarm followed by several after swarms or "virgin" swarms. I took four mout of the same tree earlier this year.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »

be sure to read the part where if you leave the comb and all it contains in the wall, you end up with a buggy, melted, mess.  getting the bees out is rarely the problem.  getting the hive out is the thing.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
brit.thebee
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »

The new swarm was taking off from the tree just as we were showing up to get it! 
Thanks for the responses regarding the trap-out.  I'll let ya know...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next