Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 15, 2014, 05:54:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New hives and snow in the forecast!  (Read 249 times)
meashton
New Bee

« on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »

Hived my two packages last Thursday, and they seem to be doing well. Feeding sugar water that they are going through at a good clip (about a pint/day/hive). Saw some full pollen sacks arriving at the hives yesterday.

But, there's a snowstorm predicted for Wednesday, with freezing temps. Do I need to do anything to protect the hives?

Thanks!

-Margaret in Colorado
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »

they should be ok.  at this time of the year, bad weather doesn't last to long and if they have food, they'll just huddle up for the cold temps and get back at it when it warms.

if you expect a lot of wind you might consider doing something to block that.  if you are using screened bottom boards, you might want to close those up.  other than that, they should be ok.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
meashton
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »

Cool, thanks! I started them on solid bottom boards, figuring I can put the screens on when it gets hot this summer. So they should be fine - and it's only supposed to be one day of snow, so not too long for them to endure. Now to get on the problem of keeping the flowers near the hive from freezing! Smiley
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »

Keep the entrance reducer on if you have one. And keep it at the smallest opening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next