Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 09:02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Day 5  (Read 248 times)
Georgia Boy
Field Bee

« on: April 25, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »

Its only day 5 with my first pkg and I must say this is some exciting Stuff. Slightly overwhelming. Trying to make the right decisions and really not knowing what I don't know. But I am loving it.

Went to watch the girls earlier when got home from work. When I saw this little girl coming in for a landing and she was high, I mean not even close to the entrance. She hit the top cover and bounced three times before coming to a halt. At least she was on her feet. She actually seem a little embarrassed. Just kidding. Smiley But she took off and and found the entrance.

Took the top cover of the feeder off and saw they were just about empty so I gave them their second gallon in 4 days. I think they are going pretty good.

One question though, I noticed some black in the bottom of some of the cells yesterday while removing the queen cage, is there black pollen? Or do they ever put propolis in the bottom of comb cells? Just curious.

Haven't seen any pollen on the legs as of yet is this normal on a pkg install?

Thanks

David

Ps. 10framer if you read this tried to PM you but your inbox is full.   

"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."
10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »

sorry david.
yes, i'm pretty sure that's pollen you're seeing.  mine are bringing in what i would call dark brown pollen.  i think someone said in another thread that it was blackberry but i'm not sure about that. 
i'm planning on taking vacation from the 6th through the 11th next month.  if i remember right you said you were taking that week too.
is clover blooming up your way?  if it is you could probably stop feeding.
keep an eye on the tulip poplars.  they are about to bloom down here and that was always the big flow when i kept bees in east central alabama, pretty sure that's true for mid georgia too. 
don2
Doak
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »

My Popular is just about in full bloom. The dark stuff could be nector/honey. Popular honey is dark. My one and only hive is boiling over, I added a super day fore Yesterday. It was over wintered. I am going to get a 5 frame nuc next week. May try to split this one later if it doesn't swarm. I set up a deep with a medium super next to it just in case. Just trying to get back into the swing of things. d2

10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »

don, this is the first year i've kept bees in taylor county.  i'm south of you and clover has only been in full bloom for a week.  i can't figure out why so many people in alabama, georgia and the carolinas are ahead of me on flows. 
i live across the river from columbus and clover has been in full bloom for a few weeks here but poplar still hasn't come in.  i haven't had a single swarm call yet and none of my bees are acting too swarmy so far but i've been supering with foundation for a few weeks.
don2
Doak
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »

What to look for to know if a swarm is in the near future. If you have any empty boxes sitting around, or some other structure the scout bees will be looking for a place about a week before the swarm. About the different bloom times. I don't understand it either. Red/Crimson clover is in full bloom around here. I even noticed some wild plum blooms back in Jan or Feb. can't recall which. Hope to get some buckwheat planted this year. Smiley

Georgia Boy
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:03:23 AM »

Just looked it up. Crimson clover  pollen is dark brown. Maybe that is what in seeing.

"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next