Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 06:18:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cabbage?  (Read 9211 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: June 29, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »

somehow i managed to plant a bunch of cabbage this year.  i think it was in mismarked trays since i don't have as much other stuff as i thought i planted. 

i don't like cabbage most of the time, but i won't let this go to waste.  could use some good ideas for cooking it!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »

Well, you can make cold slaw, boiled cabbage, or stuffed cabbage.  Some people use shred it and use as lettuce, some make saur krout, not spelled right.  Good luck

Joe
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »

i just posted a picture of the one i brought in today over on FB.  it's a monster.  going for the slaw tomorrow!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Better.to.Bee.than.not
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:49:44 AM »

oh wow...can't have to much cabbage...you can pickle tons of it or make saurkraut, kimchi, cabbage soup , use it as wraps, make a cabbage lasagna, in salads. all sorts of stuff. every year I go through tons of it, and never have enough frankly. I love cabbage soup, you can just like throw stuff into a pot with it, various other veggies/etc and it just makes itself. make slaws and put it on hot dogs to hamburgers to of course corned beef sammies....you name it.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »

We have a few friend over every year for a sauerkraut party.  I have a big electric shreader and last year we did about 600lbs.  The guys drink beer and shread and the wives drink wine, weigh, salt and stuff 5 gallon pails.  When we're done we break out the sausage stuffer and the pork we seasoned the night before  and make fresh kielbasa.  We then head for the grill and the slow cooker full of kraut from the previous year.  Oh and we drink more beer and wine
RC
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »

1. Cut a head into quarters, sprinkle it with a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Wrap it in tin foil, throw it on the grill for about 10 minutes, just enough that the cabbage starts to separate and the outside is caramelized. It is deeeeelicious.
2. Brown pork chops on the grill, throw them in a covered pan with cabbage. Cook until the pork chops are did. Eat until you hurt.
3. Finish it off with Tequila marinated pineapple, cooked on the grill.
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »

We have a few friend over every year for a sauerkraut party.  I have a big electric shreader and last year we did about 600lbs.  The guys drink beer and shread and the wives drink wine, weigh, salt and stuff 5 gallon pails.  When we're done we break out the sausage stuffer and the pork we seasoned the night before  and make fresh kielbasa.  We then head for the grill and the slow cooker full of kraut from the previous year.  Oh and we drink more beer and wine

Now that's my kind of party. Good friends and food!
Better.to.Bee.than.not
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »

so whats your recipe and technique for the kielbasa, Danno?
JPinMO
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:26:09 AM »

1. Cut a head into quarters, sprinkle it with a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Wrap it in tin foil, throw it on the grill for about 10 minutes, just enough that the cabbage starts to separate and the outside is caramelized. It is deeeeelicious.

RC, do you turn/flip the foil-wrapped cabbage quarters while they're on the grill? I may have to try this.

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either. – Albert Einstein
RC
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »

I don't turn the cabbage, I just put it off to the side, over a slightly less hot area, while I'm cooking the other food. It's quick and easy and very good. I've thought about putting a piece of bacon in with it, but I haven't tried that yet.
Try the pineapple, too. It's amazing. Just dump the juice out of a can of pineapple rings, fill it up with tequila, maybe drop a jalapeno in with it and let it set for about 2 hours. Put it on the grill long enough to get good grill marks on it and it's ready to eat. These almost never make it in the house.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »

so whats your recipe and technique for the kielbasa, Danno?

5 Tb. salt
• 1 Tb. sugar
• 2 or 3  large cloves of fresh garlic
• 1 Tb. coarse black pepper
• 1 heaping tsp. marjoram
• 2 cups ice water
• 10 lbs. boneless pork butts
• 2 cups soy protein concentrate or non-fat dry milk
This is for fresh sausage.  If I was going to smoke it I would add sodium nitite
I grind the meat once mix in the seasonings and grind one more time.  We then cover and refigerate over night.  As for casing I like the larger 38 - 42 MM hog casing.  If the meat is to stiff the next day you can add more ice water before stuffing
Better.to.Bee.than.not
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 03:38:17 AM »

wow 38-42 eh? thats huge. I'll have to give this a try. when I do I'll tell ya what I think. probably a week or two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next