Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 12:23:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Investment Advice  (Read 9250 times)
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« on: April 17, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »

Since many conservative beeks seem to know everything about everything, I’m curious what your investment advice is these days? 

This should be interesting since economic reality is diametrically opposite with just about every conservative belief there is.  We are not inflating now, nor have we been inflating.  The dollar is getting stronger, not weaker.  The stock market did not crash when Obama won his 2nd term; instead we’ve had record high after record high.  On the other hand talk radio’s favorite investment (Gold) is dropping like a lead balloon.  Even the sky is not falling. 

So what’s your advice these days? 
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »

1. A gun, sharp skinning knife, frying pan.

2. Good fishing pole, plenty of tackle.

3. Garden hoe, seed, fertilizer.

4. Heavy blankets and tent.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »

Yeah....Things are going SO GREAT that we have over 47 MILLION people who can't even afford to feed themselves and need food stamps, not to mention the work force is at it's lowest point in decades!  And what's with this being pleased that the stock market is doing well???  I thought the market represented the evil corporations of the world and the left hated them and wanted them to fail?

Not to mention that little "minor" detail of the 6+ Trillion Dollars he's added so far to the National Debt.

I mean, if things were any better, I'm not sure the country could stand it!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
greg755
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »

No inflation?Huh  The cost of medical care has more than doubled since BO. Gas/elec have gone up, food has gone up Housing has tanked, jobs have tanked, 401k has tanked, cost of college has gone up and taxes have gone up etc etc....  Don't you read your paycheck stubs or look at your tax return???  The only thing that went back to "normal" is the stock market but that is a bubble and will burst again just like it did the last time it got to high..  The dollar is weak and we just keep printing more play money.   

Have you noticed the cost of Nucs and hives lately??  up up up.....

But to answer you question, I don't buy and hold stocks anymore, I day trade for the most part and occasionally swing trade.  It works for me.

And Honey is up to $8 a pound that works for me too... Smiley

Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »

This is the kind of governing which has ruined entire states. Mine being one of them. The Fed can only prop up the economy for so long. At some point it all falls apart. Like Maggie said, " sooner or later, you run out of other people's money! "   I know, I know.....unfortunately, it seems others fail to realize this.
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »

1. A gun, sharp skinning knife, frying pan.

2. Good fishing pole, plenty of tackle.

3. Garden hoe, seed, fertilizer.

4. Heavy blankets and tent.

Iddee, who writes for you!  applause applause
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »

Sounds like Fox News to me  Wink

Just one problem with that little plan, how do you raise the $$$ to pay for the property to set your tent on?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »

Already own it. Bought it during the Reagan admin, VERY CHEAPLY.   grin

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »

I thought the market represented the evil corporations of the world and the left hated them and wanted them to fail?
Nope, we MODERATES have nothing against big companies that have to play FAIR.  It’s the greedy companies like the Oil and Gas industries and Bankers that are in bed with a certain political party that think they DESERVE subsidies on top of their record profits.  That’s what we call corporate welfare Moots.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »

Already own it. Bought it during the Reagan admin, VERY CHEAPLY.   grin
Must be different rules down there.  Here in Michigan, if you own it, you pay taxes on it forever.  Property taxes support the schools and God only knows what else  huh
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »

Your property taxes would pay my property taxes for 10 years on equal property. My rental house jumped to nearly 100 dollars this year.

Also, during the depression, taxes were deferred, as no one could pay them, and the local government didn't want to pay any clerks to do the paperwork.

Don't know if it still stands, but NC was the only STATE without a property tax. Only local governments have them.

*Shel Silverstein*
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »

WOW!  Maybe I should load up my tent and head to your place Smiley 

I can't live in a dog house up here for less than $1000 a year in property taxes. Sad  Even water bills here are often $100 a month and we live in the middle of the largest collection of fresh water on the planet! 

LOL, yes, I have my complaints too.  I'm not a fan of big government.  It's just the areas of cutting where I disagree with the conservatives.

OK how about the rest of you?

Other than iddee and Greg I haven’t seen any actual answers to the question; just the normal conservative complaining.  So what specifically are the rest of you economists suggesting?  Hunker down in more Gold and Silver?  Short the Dollar?  Buy Goldman?  Google?  Yahoo?  GM?  Tesla?  Real estate?  Buy Treasuries?  Short Treasuries?  Ya’ll must have SOME plan?  Right  huh   
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »

That's what I mean. My 16 or 17 properties total less than 2000.

My main stocks are Verizon, Duke Energy, Intel. All paying over 4% dividends and stock prices growing.

*Shel Silverstein*
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »

I thought the market represented the evil corporations of the world and the left hated them and wanted them to fail?
Nope, we MODERATES have nothing against big companies that have to play FAIR.  It’s the greedy companies like the Oil and Gas industries and Bankers that are in bed with a certain political party that think they DESERVE subsidies on top of their record profits.  That’s what we call corporate welfare Moots.

Thanks for the clarification Blue. God knows we want to live by your definitions.

Besides, "Fair" is a place you go to ride rides and eat cotton candy.  Smiley. Life isn't "fair". Get over it!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:49:21 PM by Moots » Logged

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »

A quick look at stock market history shows the way.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/historical/djia1900.html

Typically follows a 12-15 yr (decrease/flat - increase/rise) cycle. If you use that as the yardstick the stockmarket should perform well for at least the next 12 yrs (just ending the flat period now). So sock all your money in the high risk areas and get ready to make a bundle.

YW  in advance. And you can send a consultants fee based on your increases. PM me for where to send your money grin

BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »

I suspect you’re probably right hjon, but there was the head and shoulders argument a few years back that a market head occurred in the 2000/2007 time frame and we were in a shoulder pattern and going down from there.  That is the pessimist view I would expect from some of the more conservative beeks around here.  The old ‘sky is falling and Obama is going to destroy America’ nonsense.

The market also tends to track economic growth.  So if you’re suggesting the stock market is going to do well for the next 12 years, that would suggest NONE (and I repeat NONE) of the doom and gloom the conservative beeks yap about will come to pass.  Again I tend to think you are probably right.

People running for the doors to sell all their Gold seems to be a pretty good indicator that stocks will likely go up for the time being.  I kind of doubt that Gold money is going into Bonds or Cash with the Feds manipulating both of those markets, so where else does it go?  Probably stocks.  More buyers than sellers, and prices go up. 

Moots, that’s what they call “Reaganomics”.  A rising tide lifts all boats? 
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »

Sounds like Fox News to me  Wink

Just one problem with that little plan, how do you raise the $$$ to pay for the property to set your tent on?

You mean how do you raise the $$$ to pay the taxes on it?
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »

Real estate/ rental properties.  Fewer people can afford to buy, credit crunch, less stability in job and high debt.  People need to live someplace, why not pay you to do that?  No hold stocks right now for me, out side 401K, market pushed up to high.  With $16T inflation will have to start sometime soon. 
Also, food storage (buy on sale and store), clean water, generator, fuel (that is a tuff one off a farm or industrial building).
Sunnyboy2
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 11:24:52 PM »

Blue,
I live in oil and gas company area, and I can not figure out what "subsidies" you, and our president, are speaking of.  They play by same tax rules that all companies play by.  The federal government gains the most $ from a gallon of gas.  State govts. next.  It takes many companies to find, drill, pump, transport, refine, & distribute fuel.  Each taking a part of pie. 

Further, I do not hear folks yelling that computer companies should not be able to write off R&D costs because Apple and Google make record profits or have more cash on hand than the government.
But I guess that's not fair.  Every solvent company in America has mor cash on hand than our government.

PS. Invest by paying down your debt.
Fox Creek
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »

Sound advise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next