Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 09:58:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I re-install a plastic hive entrance feeder after refilling  (Read 474 times)
emarketwiz
New Bee

« on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »

The guy I got my nuc from yesterday said I should feed sugar water for a week.  I bought the small plastic entrance feeders from Brushy Mountain, filled them with sugar water and installed them early this morning (no bees around the hive).  They were not completely filled and the bees ate all of the sugar water today.  I went to the hives and refilled them earlier this evening but there were so many bees around the entrance board that it took awhile to get the feeder back in without killing any bees.  Is there a methodology for this that I am not aware of?  Thanks for your help! 

Ken Poindexter
SLIGHTLY "BEE"MUSED
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »

Just take your time...you could try blowing a puff of smoke at them or refill at night when they're inside.
 A lot of people might suggest going with a different method of feeding them. Having the feeder right at the entrance promotes other bees coming in and robbing.
Keep an eye on your hive and if you see bees fighting, try a different feeder.
Sundog
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »

Bees will be less active at dusk.  Whenever I mess with my entrance or add a cover under my SBB on a really cold night, I wait until dusk.  That's when I cut the grass close around it too.

cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next