Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 12:04:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vicks VapoRub for SHB?  (Read 649 times)
Moots
Queen Bee

« on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »

Anyone else ever head this one?

A guy at our LBC mentioned this one the other night, I hadn't ever heard it before...

He takes Vicks VapoRub and leaves it in the sun to help it flow a little better, he then sucks it up in a big syringe that he's cut the tip off of.  He said he keeps it on him when he works his hives and if he sees SHB's in a hive he squirts a dab in each corner of the box.  Claims the SHB's hate it and the bees could care less.

I don't have enough of a SHB problem to try it, and I'm not sure I would even if I did....But was curious how wide spread this approach is....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:11:09 PM by Moots » Logged

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
Bees In Miami
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:38:24 AM »

Moots....Never heard of that before, but I sure will be watching this thread!  SHB are a major issue here, even in my strongest of strong hives.  Thanks for putting this out there, and lets see what we find out!   Wink
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »

My father-in-law taught me to use it to keep the bees from sting you hands or where ever you need it by smearing it on. I used to use it and it seems to have worked. In other words the bees hate it also.
Don't think I would be putting it in my hives.
Wipe a little in front of a small hive entrance and see what happens.
Jim
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »

I wouldn't use that stuff if you payed me. My mom used to use that on us kids. I can't stand the smell of it now. I think it would drive your bees out of the box.
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:20:56 PM »

I wouldn't use that stuff if you payed me. My mom used to use that on us kids. I can't stand the smell of it now. I think it would drive your bees out of the box.

tefer,
I hear what you're saying, but according to him, the bees don't mind it in the least and the SHB's hate it.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:42:32 AM »

I once heard of using Halls menthol cough drops for Tracheal mites -only problem was
 the sent over powered the queens pheromones and bees supersede the queen-tell him
 to try banana peal  Wink see what he says--RDY-B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next